help stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blizowman1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am about to start to set up my first freshwater tank . I want to plant it but not hardcore just enough to make it look nice. im getting a aquaclear 70 and two lights one for my fish and one for my plants. ill have a proper heater and am going to let it cycle properly. I've been trying to figure out what plants and what fish to stock with. im not wanting to do anything special for the plants but feet every once in a while. and I really like the dwarf graumis....Idk how to spell it. I don't want to add the usual neons and such so any ideas on plants and fish and about how many fish to stock with would ne great. and I already have a betta and a Otto cat in a separate tank would it be a good idea to move them over

Hi yes can be very confusing,but best idea on the fish is to have a look around your local fish shop,make notes of the names of the ones you like then ask again on here and then we can be of more help. But basically live bearers are good starter fish {platy's, sword tails}Plus they may breed:). As for plants ideally you could add some base fertiliser,just mix some in with the gravel,then you could add more plants and they should grow,most plants need a reasonable substrate to grow in. then plants such as Vallis, amazon swords{not that I can grow'em:oops:} Ludwiga,bacopa usually pretty good:)
Yes defiantly do a fish less cycle,also the honey gouramis are better than dwarf gouramis - less disease prone:) I personally would not add the betta if going for gouramis. The otto should be fine to move over once the tank is settled and cycled properly,but leave it as long as you can before moving him/her:)

blizowman1 said:
I am about to start to set up my first freshwater tank . I want to plant it but not hardcore just enough to make it look nice. im getting a aquaclear 70 and two lights one for my fish and one for my plants. ill have a proper heater and am going to let it cycle properly. I've been trying to figure out what plants and what fish to stock with. im not wanting to do anything special for the plants but feet every once in a while. and I really like the dwarf graumis....Idk how to spell it. I don't want to add the usual neons and such so any ideas on plants and fish and about how many fish to stock with would ne great. and I already have a betta and a Otto cat in a separate tank would it be a good idea to move them over

Hi,

How big is this tank?

IMO its hard to find a healthy DG, those things are so inbred right now theyve got weak strains. If you can I would look for some from a local breeder instead of a LFS where conditions are not always ideal.

jessa1606 said:
AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor This site is great! It allows you to type in the size of your tank, filter size etc and will tell you what fish are ok. My only advice is to do your own research too and find out what will work for you!

I don't recommend this site to anyone.

It's a fun toy. That's pretty much it.

There are too many factors when it comes to stocking fish tanks. Using things to help
like the inch per gallon rule, the myth that fish only grow to the size of the tank they're put in, and AqAdvisor arent good enough because it's too generic of a result that you get from those. IMO experience and research is the way to choose your stuck.

Just my $0.02 cents :)

so its been a little over a month and a half and I've added 8 pristella tetras, 6 cardinal tetras, 2 julii corys, 2 emerald corys, 1 albino pleco...

I want to add a pair of german blue rams and I think that might have me stocked. what do y'all think? I love the cardinals I wish I had bought more the color is amazing I think I would rather have 15 cardinals than the pristellas....what do y'all think about my plan any recommendations on what y'all would add or do

Back
Top Bottom