help stocking a 29 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

echo123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey there people. I have a spare 29 tank lying around with equipment and all but my need to be renewed. I really wanted a peacock eel since they seem pretty cool and interesting. Most sites say a 20 or larger. Also they mostly ignore other tank mates except fishes to small. I want to know if this would work and other options if this wont work out. THanks for all the help!?!:thanks:

Hello there. I'm too new to fish keeping to give advise, but I certainly can share with you an awesome stocking tool! Visit AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor Measure your tank, find out what kind of filter you will be using, plug it all in the boes, and they will automatically give you a list of fish for that size tank. Next, scroll to your desired fish, (it's alphabetical) and then choose possible tank mates. The site will let you know if they are compatable based on tempermant, ph, water hardness, and temperature. It'll aslo tell you how your filter is doing and where your stocking level is. Good luck! Oh, there is a saltwater section too. I don;t know if you eel is salt or fresh.
Take care!

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't put a peacock eel in a 29 gallon tank. We had them were I worked for awhile and they can get rather large. The ones we had were 7 inches a piece and the people who were talking them home had 40 gallons or larger. Its hard to find compatible fish species, too. The eels, in my experience, are classified as semi aggressive and have the capacity to bully smaller fish. Again, the people who bought them usually stuck them with cichlids ore stuff like Tiger Barbs. Tiger barbs stay nice and small so it wouldnt be very difficult to a do a school of them with the eel... But much else, and you are going to over stock your tank, quick.

Also...They can grow rather large, some reaching 10 inches or more. They also like to burrow ALOT and would be better with a sand substrate since gravel can damage their sensitive "nose".

I second that notion Talvari. They get too big, and will eat other fish that they can fit in there mouth. You can do ALOT with a 29. Gourami, Rainbows, any tetras, platy, molly, dwarf cichlids.

THanks for the info. WEll i was also looking into gouramis what are some good
types thanks. OOHH i was walking around my lfs and saw a flame dwarf gourami? I did some research but still a bit raw.

Gouramis are a great choice! Theyre colorful and add variety to a tank. I reccommend a sunset or dwarf, with them you can add tons of beautiful community fish like the neon tetra and the long-finned black skirt tetra.

This a pict of my skirt tetra and sunset gourami.

Attachments

• image-1896629923.jpg
    image-1896629923.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 61
  • image-1607748804.jpg
    image-1607748804.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 56
WOW thats really nice. I think i will go with that idea thank you for this good info . thanksss

No problem im happy to help good luck with your fish and if you go with these gouramis make sure when you get other fish that they are tropical community so they all get along, i think this the best group because they are peacful, colorful, and eyecatching!
Good luck,
Mollie

Back
Top Bottom