Help stocking a 60 gallon - barbs/ kuhli loaches?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Makes sense on a physics level. And I know how cichlids like to dig and rearrange pebbles and gravel. Almost like they're rearranging furniture. Lol
Tank is cycled, probably from the get go as I moved the sponges filter over from another tank.

Ordered 6 corydora sterbai that off ebay that will be coming next week. Figuring to put those in first and wait a week our two before adding some angels.

I have a couple of pieces of 24" manzanita that is supposed to come Tuesday as well.

Excited to see it coming together!
I'm excited for you. My 4 Angels are so beautiful but I wish I could give a couple to you. There are no sex organs showing yet, but I think I got 1 female and 3 males. They have begun to have the most violent swirling fights. They don't actually harm each other but what I assume is the dominant male has 2 of them cornered. He won't let them out to eat. I started leaving the canister filter on when I feed them now to make sure they all can eat...and they do. I've kept and even bred Angles for 3 decades and never saw this behavior. They are really acting like ciclids...that's for sure. Didn't want a 2nd tank these days, bu I think I'm heading there.

Picked up two angels today! A koi and a silver zebra. They are small - they also had a very pretty golden but it was bigger so I want sure if it would work to get him as well.

Corydoras should be coming end of the week. The zebra is swimming around, but so far the koi has only hid by a rock. But it has only been in 2 hours.

Koi and silver zebra. I didn't notice at first but the zebra is missing part of one of it's front fins. 20180422_115155.jpeg20180422_115306.jpg

Don't worry about the koi. All fish have their own time frame getting used to a new home. Keeping something the same when you approach the tank helps them identify you as master. I wear glasses and they fly to the front when they see me approaching. But if I go to the tank without my glasses on, they swim to the back. Keeping a specific shirt, smock, or hat can also help them to identify you. They can see color by the way. They look great.

Don't worry about the koi. All fish have their own time frame getting used to a new home. Keeping something the same when you approach the tank helps them identify you as master. I wear glasses and they fly to the front when they see me approaching. But if I go to the tank without my glasses on, they swim to the back. Keeping a specific shirt, smock, or hat can also help them to identify you. They can see color by the way. They look great.
Yep, he's already out and swimming around :) thanks drj for all the advice!

Yep, he's already out and swimming around :) thanks drj for all the advice!
You're welcome. I have been keeping (and used to breed) angels for 30 years. I currently have 2 koi with beautiful orange mixed with their black and white markings, one solid blond with even darker yellow on her head, one striped, and I just added a baby about the size of a nickel that is completely silver. So I'm still an angel fish lover and keeper. I used to keep Discus too, but on a fixed income now, can't afford them now. I will attach pics of my Angels, but keep in mind my camera isn't very good.20180414_210517.jpg20180414_210553-1.jpg20180414_210602.jpg20180414_210548.jpg20180414_210553.jpg

Thanks for sharing the pics! I guess mine is more of a marbled than a koi. They are getting a little more comfortable though as I've seen then swimming around together.

Aquascape picture update since I added a bubble wand and the manzanita came in today :) Will probably space out the plants and maybe play with the rockwork some more. Cory cats delivered tomorrow!

Attachments

• 20180424_224505.jpg
    20180424_224505.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 73
Thanks for sharing the pics! I guess mine is more of a marbled than a koi. They are getting a little more comfortable though as I've seen then swimming around together.

Aquascape picture update since I added a bubble wand and the manzanita came in today :) Will probably space out the plants and maybe play with the rockwork some more. Cory cats delivered tomorrow!
The tank is beautiful and the cories will love digging in the sand substrate. The air wand is a nice touch.

Thank you! The cory cats came in today. Ordered 6 but the seller sent an extra so I have 7 :) Fun to watch them school together.

Attachments

• 20180425_231902_HDR.jpg
    20180425_231902_HDR.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 20180425_231827.jpeg
    20180425_231827.jpeg
    33.6 KB · Views: 73
Really nice Cory Cats. They sure look well fed and have a very sharp color pattern. Good breeder.

Thanks V and Dr J! I was very pleased with the fish and it was a great deal on ebay - 6 for $24 (plus one extra) and $18 shipping.

Looking forward to picking out a few more angels :)

Thanks V and Dr J! I was very pleased with the fish and it was a great deal on ebay - 6 for $24 (plus one extra) and $18 shipping.

Looking forward to picking out a few more angels :)
Just angels and your school of cories would be all you'll need for lots of movement and beauty in the tank. Since they both originate from the same Amazon river tributaries, they require the same water conditions. You should do great. Still love that tank set-up. Enjoy

Went to an different store and got 2 more angels: another marble and this silver looking guy. The first marble is yellow and black and this one is silver and black, so they are a little different. These new ones are a little bigger (about twice the size) but the guy at the store seemed to think they'd be ok. So far they all seem to get along fine and are kind of schooling together.

What does everyone fed their angels? I have been alternating blood worms one day and tetra flakes the next.

Attachments

• 20180430_211624.jpg
    20180430_211624.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 47
Nice looking group of Angels. Especially the yellow and black marble.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to see how they all look when they get bigger :)

I also think it is cool how the normal/striped one's bars can change from really light to really dark.

The other Angels will likely be able to intensify and diminish their colors too, depending on mood. You're off to a really good start.

I really like that yellow and black. As for feeding, I don't keep angels, but breeders I know feed them regularly on black worms, brine shrimp, and a quality flake, as well as blood worms. I bet they'd like krill, too.

Thanks!

Another full tank picture, I thinned out some of the branch on three right side to free up some swimming area and plan to do the same for the left side. Wouldn't want them to get those fins caught on a branch. Might visit a new fish store this weekend to see if anything catches my eye :)

Attachments

• 20180503_224848_HDR.jpg
    20180503_224848_HDR.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 46
As you can see, the manzanita is making the water cloudy.... Hoping that will clear up eventually, but it doesn't seem to be bothering the fish.

Back
Top Bottom