Help! Strange Behavior, Bloat, and Fin Rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Srrme

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 3 questions, so I hope you guys don't mind me tossing them all in the same thread.

My father-in-law has a 40 gallon tank with Guppy's, and a few other fish in it. He has bought over 20 Guppy's, and has lost all but 7 of them (he's bought them in different time frames, and did not have 20 at the same time). The first and second batch seemed to have fin rot, and all eventually died (even though we treated the water, and cleaned the entire tank like the pet store told us to do). A few of those Guppy's also seemed to be bloated before they died, and we just lost another Guppy this morning that became bloated all of a sudden yesterday.

At first we thought they were "pregnant" not bloated, but the Guppy that recently became bloated and died was a male, not a female.

The supposed "fin rot" and "bloat" is ONLY affecting the Guppy's, not any of the other fish (which include Lamp Eyes, Mollies, etc).

And last but not least, my father-in-law has another fish tank that is 55 gallons, and in there he has a massive Red Tail Shark, who has recently began showing very strange behaviors. I will try to explain it as much as I can. She went into hiding for a few weeks, but has now decided to show herself a lot more, but every time she comes out of hiding, she rubs the side of her face onto EVERYTHING she swims by, and shoots forward into a half-spin each time. It's very bizarre. One of the Tiger Barbs in that tank also seems to have picked up this behavior, and does it a few times a day.

Can anyone help us? :blink:

The bloating are talking about is most probably dropsy. And fin rot is due unclean water. Is ur 40gallon cycled? And do u have a testin kit? Liquid preferably! If u do what were the water parameters?

As for ur red tail shark. I think he may have external parasites that's irritating him that's y he's scratching. Can u see any visible parasites or injuries?

To me the behavior of the shark and the tiger could be possible ICH, which is a illness created by a parasite (as mentioned above).

Please observe the fish in detail to see if you can detect white spots on their skin, like granulates of salt....

Back
Top Bottom