Help! Strange Growth taking over some tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ButterBee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 4 tanks that are getting this growth. I had it before but in different tanks. I have never seen it before and its starting up the glass. I have a tank up the road at work and there is nothing wrong with it. Same water same everything. This is only in 4 of 16 tanks. These have been cycled for over a year and get weekly water changes they are 10gallon tanks with a few guppies in one and some swordtails in one and black neons in one and one is empty. A couple have plants a couple have nothing they get the same light and I left the lights off and fed lightly for 2 weeks to see if it was an algea. I am lost. I dont want to tear these all down too and build up again like the ones 6 months ago. I got all new nets when I reset those tanks incase its cross contamination and each tank has it's own net. I am attaching puctures the only thing really hard to tell is that this stuff is sticky and the gravel comes out in chunks and I can't even scrub it off.

Any help is so much appreciated wince I am close to giving up on tanks here. I have never seen this in 24 years of fish keeping. Though the last six has been on city water when I moved the first several was on well water.

Thanks!!
B

Note: The picture with the guppy in it was before shutting lights on the tanks the one where there is no fish and its darker is today after the lights have been off.20190102_110228.jpg20181210_122113.jpg

This looks like a type of fungus. Is it possible that over feeding is occurring; left over food on the gravel?
Are you running a UG filter? It looks like quite a bit of built up detritus in the pics. Not necessarily a bad thing but it could be a factor in what is going on.

This looks like a type of fungus. Is it possible that over feeding is occurring; left over food on the gravel?
Are you running a UG filter? It looks like quite a bit of built up detritus in the pics. Not necessarily a bad thing but it could be a factor in what is going on.
I am not sure about the over feeding- I could be? I cleaned a lot of the fallen ppant matter that wis in those pictures. I did large water changes in the empty tanks to see if it helped. I only use UGF's on any of my tanks and these are the only ones with issues.

Back
Top Bottom