Help! Sucker Catfish Not moving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tjm313

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Quick intro: I am on week number 5 of my 25-gallon tank running. I have done everything by the book. I have very slowly added 1-2 fish a week. I have 4 Glofish danios, and 4 Red Platys. 2 + days ago I added a sucker catfish to bottom feed and eat uneaten food. The first 12 hours I had him he moved around from hiding place to hiding place. For the last 24 hours, he has wedged himself on the side of the filter and has not moved. He is alive but is non-active. I have been checking the tank every 2-3 hours even in the middle of the night. I have had the light off in the tank the last 18 hours. He still will not move. I ran to Petco last night and the very young man tested the water (which I do weekly) he said I am slightly high on Nitrite but nothing terrible. He said it is probably cycling. He said do a water change once a week. I did a 1/5 water change 4 days ago or the day before getting the fish. This morning I noticed the tank is ever so slightly cloudy. Cat Fish still non-active. Other fish fine. Should I do another water change? I really dont want to kill the fish. Thoughts on the fish and the slightly cloudy water this morning. TY for reading.

I would if the nitrite was high last night, it's just gonna get worse, it don't take long. Do a water as soon as you can. Then test the water after. Make sure you condition it too. The tank might be too clean yet for the sicker fish. Might be why he's hanging out by the filter.

It's likely that your water chemistry is still unstable. The slight cloudiness of the tank water is probably an algae bloom, which is common in New setups. A large, 30% - 40% WC twice a week until things level out would be a good idea. As for the sucker fish, I'm assuming "Pleco", a small piece of driftwood and a rock cave to hide in might help. Relax and don't rush things :)

Back
Top Bottom