help super high nitrites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abstract373

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok on sunday found 2 15 in rope fish dead in the tank they didnt survive 3 days after i bought them all levels were great before the new guys went in. so as a precaution since i dont know exactly when they died i did a pwc to play it safe now today come home from work did a water test [api master kit] all is good except nitrites are super red in color chart... never had this happen before so where do i go from here more water changes a what else....its a 75 planted tank did my dosing for my plants do this or what can it be?:eek:

Large water changes, as many as needed to get the nitrite level down. Close monitoring of all toxins until things stabilize again. Large water change if ammonia or nitrite creep above 0.25ppm.

How long has this tank been set up?

That is two very large fish to be dropping in at the same time. My guess is your bio filter was overwhelmed.

I'm no expert, but the NitrIte test will vary depending on if you shake it enough, etc.. I've found this.. Also how long had your tank been set up? Did you fishless cycle? Like said above, it sounds like your filter couldn't cope.. What size tank and what filter?

abstract373 said:
ok on sunday found 2 15 in rope fish dead in the tank they didnt survive 3 days after i bought them all levels were great before the new guys went in. so as a precaution since i dont know exactly when they died i did a pwc to play it safe now today come home from work did a water test [api master kit] all is good except nitrites are super red in color chart... never had this happen before so where do i go from here more water changes a what else....its a 75 planted tank did my dosing for my plants do this or what can it be?:eek:

Nitrites or nitrAtes? On my API kit nitrAtes are red when high & nitrItes are purple. In either case water changes as the other poster stated & close monitoring for a while. When adding fish your BB will have to work harder because of the added bio load but should catch up if you have the right filtration. It's possible your new fish were sick to begin with. Did you acclimate them properly? Are there other fish in the tank that could've gotten aggressive?

shellieca said:
Nitrites or nitrAtes? On my API kit nitrAtes are red when high & nitrItes are purple. In either case water changes as the other poster stated & close monitoring for a while. When adding fish your BB will have to work harder because of the added bio load but should catch up if you have the right filtration. It's possible your new fish were sick to begin with. Did you acclimate them properly? Are there other fish in the tank that could've gotten aggressive?

Good shout! I missed that, (super tired) nitrAtes are red..

Oh ****! Nitrate then. Forget my above post.

If they are very high I suggest starting with small frequent changes for the first couple of days. Then increase the water change amount by another 10% for a few days. Then increase the water change size again. Continue this until you have brought the nitrate back down. You don't want to bring nitrate down really quickly, that could cause stress issues. Are you dosing nitrate for your plants?

the tank has been setup up for a year im running 2 magnum 350s on it and the filter have not been cleaned at the same time they get cleaned a month apart as for aclimation yes i did all was good before these 2 guys went in now its up in the red zone ammonia is 0 ph 7 but im stumped as for why there so high and staying there i did a pwc and added prime and ferts after refill...after this im not adding more fish to this tank im just setting up a shrimp tank

yes i am i bought a these from dr foster and smith to give them a try
p-21243-30401-fish-supply.jpg

You need to be careful with that 'Nitrogen' bottle. Test your tank for nitrate before you dose to see if you need it.

How long after pwc should i wait to retset my water? Its a shame im sucking out the ferts cause my plants are looking good...

ForumRunner_20121016_191308.jpg

abstract373 said:
How long after pwc should i wait to retset my water? Its a shame im sucking out the ferts cause my plants are looking good...

About a half an hour should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom