Help, Surface Lurking Betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cee219

Aquarium Advice Regular
If you are short on time read the last 2-3 paragraphs

I've had my lovely little Betta for about two months now. Before I had kept him in a 1-gallon vase (and I didn't expect him to live on plant roots like the brochure that it came with suggested it. Burn those stinkin' brochures). It was rather small and the water in his vase was just breaking 70-72 degrees reguarly. (note the photo in my gallery)

I recently purchased a 2 gallon aquarium for him, it's ran fishless without him for three days, even though I think if he survived in that vase he can survive nearly anything. I just added a 7 watt aquarium heater and the temperature stays at 78 which I've heard is nice for Bettas. I gave him a good 40 minutes to get used to the water while he was in a bag dipped in the aquarium. I just netted him out an hour ago.

The aquarium doesn't have a filter filter, but it has an UGF that came with it and an air stone and air pump. I've noticed now that every now and then he'll do "betta backflips" downward and then race up to the surface where he pretty much stays. He seems to take surface gulps of air more often then I remember him before. I know warm water doesn't hold as much oxygen as cooler water, but since I have the airpump and stone, I would have thought that the bubbles from that would help keep circulation going. Could he just be having a little anxiety problem from being transferred into a new tank, or could he be having problems with getting enough oxygen? Also, is the current coming from the airstone bubbles too much for a Betta?

My Betta also seems to be showing signs of Velvet (entire chest is covered in a bronzey powder). I'm going to be treating him ASAP, I don't think it's relevant, but doesn't hurt to mention.

Here are a few links on Velvet -- one has a picture to compare your betta with, and both sites suggest a med from their line. Jungle and AP should be available at places like Petsmart.

http://www.junglelabs.com/pages/pond.detail.asp?item=62

http://www.aquariumpharm.com/disease/velvet.html

I have the little Hydor heater. It's pretty nice. Right now it's in a one-gallon bowl with some live plants that I'm not ready to plant yet.

Bettas don't like current, and in a smaller tank like you have, the bubbles may be stronger -- not as much room to spread out, if that makes sense. Can you turn down the filter flow at all, and see if that alleviates his symptoms of staying at the surface or rushing around? You'll still need to check ammonia levels and do appropriate water changes. Letting the tank run for three days, fishless and without an ammonia source, didn't cycle the tank.

Warm water doesn't hold as much oxygen, but 78 or 80 is where a betta likes the temperature, and the labyrinth organ allows them to get atmospheric air.

He may still be getting used to the tank. It took my betta 4 or 5 days to get used to his new home. Until then, it seemed like he swam around a bit fast too. Now my betta is more relaxed and calm.

I would get something to treat the velvet with fast. The symptoms he's showing could be related to that also. Hanging around just under the surface, if they do it all the time, isn't a good sign. Also at the AP and Jungle sites, they have other disease pages. On the Jungle site, click back on "Fish Health", and on the AP site at the bottom, click on "Back to Disease Index". If it's velvet, the meds from the links will be good. Other meds I have had good luck with are Jungle Fungus Eliminator and a kanacyn-based antibiotic. Once I used Jungle Fungus Eliminator on a betta who just hung out right under the surface and didn't move, and it made him better.

Check out the links, see if it is velvet, and treat; meanwhile, keep watching him in case (but hopefully not) a secondary infection sets in from the velvet parasites. If that does happen, one of the antibiotics I mentioned should help.

An t-iasg gave some great advice. Definitley check out those links.

Also, I wouuld be concerned at how much your temperature is flucuating. With no heater, that could be a problem. Is the tank close to an outside wall, or heater/airconditioner? Do you have a thermometer? Check throughout the day, and see how much your temp flucuates. I'm not positive, but I think it's zoomed who makes very small 20 or so watt heater for plastic tanks.

Someone else might know better, but in the mean time, I'll do a quick search.

Good luck.

Is this one of those little hexagonal tanks? If so I'm familiar with them. To reduce the current, try buying a longer piece of rigid tubing for the uplift tube, so it almost reaches the surface.

It may be that the UGF is sucking him downward. I've never used one myself so I am not familiar with how much pull there is. I would think the gravel on top of it would keep the current to a minimum. If the airstone is going full blast that may be causing him to flip backward too. I like to buy the valves that allow you to dial it way down. They come in handy in betta tanks.

Bettas don't make very good cycling fish. They are very sensitive to ammonia and nitrite and sometimes don't survive the cycling process. If you intend to cycle your tank I would suggest keeping him in another location while you use the Fishless Cycling Method on your 2 gal. Since 2 gals are difficult to keep a cycle stable (small size) you could remove the filter altogether, and do 100% water changes instead. It's not ideal but if the alternative is to expose your betta to a tank which keeps trying to cycle itself it may be a safer option.

I hope he's doing ok with his Velvet problem. Good luck little fishy! :wink:

IME, bettas that have survived their first few weeks in a new home are tough little fish that can survive quite a bit.

I've never used an airstone in a betta tank. They don't like a lot of current, with those long, flowing fins, it's harder for them to swim, and the current can actually rip their fins, and they're quite delicate. Plus, since they breathe surface air too, it's not as important to keep the water oxygenated. Try taking the airstone out.

With the UGF, pull the output up so it's near the top of the tank (1 cm/ 1/2 " below the waterline).

Treat the velvet as soon as you can! I find it useful to always keep a few meds on hand that treat common illnesses, such as Ich meds, fungus meds and tetracycline. (First rule of fishkeeping: The problem will always occur between the hours of midnight and 1 am, or on a Sunday, when everything is closed.)

It's good that you are able to keep his temp steady. I have a female in a 2 gallon hex. I don't have a heater, but the tank stays between 74 F - 75 F all the time.

Bettas don't like current
Actually, its more like bettas don't know what current is....
My female Bettas tank has current, I cut it back a little, but not much.
When I put a new Betta in they'll wander right into the filter outflow and whoossssh..... Off they go, out of control.
After a day or two they get the hang of it and I actually see them ride the current halfway around the tank, just making minor corrections. Or see them facing into it, holding station.
I give them caves, structure and thick plants so they can get away from it when they want to, but their almost always out in the open lurking the surface in case I decide to drop'em some bloodworm :)
My Betta males enjoy some current too, I've cut their outflow alot more with pantyhose (but its still a AC300 on a 10gal) and then theres the dividers, and I rotate them from section to section weekly so they always get a turn in the section with the main outflow. No problem, within a few hours their swimmimg around just fine.....
:twisted: I'm willing to bet that my males, with the extra exercise, could whip the crud out of any other males :whip:

Back
Top Bottom