help to cycle my new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dave2010

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I have a small 28litre tank with a small royal pleco and a platty, I've got a new 180litre tank set up today, how can I transfer my fish to my new tank without having to cycle for months? If I put my old filter into my new tank would that work? I don't want to transfer any gravel or ornaments from my old tank as it is over run with snails and I don't want snails in my new tank, hope someone can help. Thanks

You could put the filter in the new tank so then you don't have to cycle it to put the pleco and platy in. However, that filter only contains enough BB to handle the load of a pleco and Platy so if you put in more fish it will be just like a fish in cycle. There is now way to avoid a cycle, sadly.

Thanks for your reply I ended up moving my filter with my fish at the same time and everything has been fine over the past few days the water readings have been all spot on and the fish seem to be much happier in their larger tank. How long would I need to keep my old filter in the tank?

Back
Top Bottom