Help! Unexpected fry, not prepared!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just looked in my platy tank and noticed a tiny baby! a few seconds later another. Not sure which female is having them, but I only have 2 in the tank. What should I do? I'm afraid they are going to be eaten because I have no other tanks ready or a breeding net.

if you dont have any room for it right now then i would let nature take its course...it may survive if you have a lot of plants for it to hide in

i have quite a few fake plants in the tank. I just pulled a 5 gallon and filled it, treated it with prime and added a heater. It has no substrate and no filter. Just the heater and an air stone. Will this suffice for the fry once it is up to temperature?

I think people do that for fry a lot. Just do daily water changes, and I think it will be fine. :)

i believe that would work until it is big enough to add back into the main tank but keep up with water quality.

Does anyone know how long before they are to big for the parents to eat?

So, my wife has 2 glow danios in the tank and they are eating the fry as they are born. My wife is tweaking out telling me to get the danio's out of the tan. She doesnt under stand that chasing them is going to stress the platy's so , now she's mad at me..

i think it depends on the size of your other platys, im not exactly sure but i would say as long as the fry cant fit in the mouth of your other fish it would be okay.

the glow danios are in the tank and eating the platy fry? long term if you want to keep fry you will probably have to remove them (danios) or be very quick with removing fry right after birth. if your set on keeping the danios in the tank let your wife know that the platys eat there own fry too, and that it wont really help much with removing the danios :)

i think it depends on the size of your other platys, im not exactly sure but i would say as long as the fry cant fit in the mouth of your other fish it would be okay.

the glow danios are in the tank and eating the platy fry? long term if you want to keep fry you will probably have to remove them (danios) or be very quick with removing fry right after birth. if your set on keeping the danios in the tank let your wife know that the platys eat there own fry too, and that it wont really help much with removing the danios :)

The danio's are being re-homed. Its will be just platy's and guppies in the tank soon.

I added more plants just now in hopes that it will give the fry a better chance.

platys breed like crazy so if your fry doesnt survive this time there will be plenty more where it came from anyway, probably more then you will ever want! ;)

Back
Top Bottom