Help! Unknown pests

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They look like Gammarus shrimp. Also referred to as scuds or freshwater amphipods. They are harmless and most fish will eat them if they can catch them. I used to find them on the roots of watch lettuce in my fish pond. Do you have fish in your tank? I've read where they can become invasive but that depends on your stock. I would not introduce them into a fishless planted tank.

Thanks. I have cichlids. That's it. No plants. How do you get rid of them. Would assassin snails work?

I would say no for the assassin snails just because the amphipods are very mobile.
What kind of cichlids? Depending on those and the size of the tank you could try loaches or other suitable bottom dwellers.

If you don't have any other inverts in your tank you can kill them off with some copper-based protozoal medicine. Aquarisol works best but you might try Mardel Coppersafe or Seachem Cupramine, but these aren't just copper sulfate like aquarisol, so it might not be as deadly to inverts with an exoskeleton.

Most varieties of cichlids, even mbuna (which are herbivorous grazers) will eat scuds.

Back
Top Bottom