Help - Upside Down Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A-N-I

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So recently, I went to a pet store and bought an upside down catfish. I'm not sure why, but I did haha. Can anyone tell me about them? (How big they get, if I should re-home him, etc) I tried doing a little research, but Im still not sure exactly what kind of catfish I have.
The one I bought is about 2-2.5 inches long. Whitish-grey with lots of black spots.
I bought him about a week ago. And he's been hiding in my (fake) bamboo leaf plant ever since. (The plant is pretty big and takes up almost a third of my 30 gallon tank.)

Syndiodontis nigreventris is the common upside down cat fish.
Aprox 4" but other Syndio species do get larger.
They are a pretty flexible fish as far as requirements,and love to hide in caves.
Probably going to eat at night (if possible) .
They do appreciate the company of others that the same(they do good in groups of 3+).
Lots of info out there on them!

I don't think I can add any more to what coralbandit said, but please please please always do research before buying a fish. :)

Do you have a picture? Theres a few different species sold as upside down catfish.

The most common one (the same one mentioned by coralbandit) is a great peaceful community fish! They're some of my favorite catfish. Your tank is plenty big for them but as previously mentioned, they like some company!

When I was at the pet store, I quickly pulled out my phone and googled upside down catfish to see if they would work in my tank, but I didnt sit down and actually read up on them like I should of...
Unfortunately I can't get a picture of the one I have, he's too hidden. But the "Syndiodontis nigreventris" seems to be the kind I have. If I buy 2 more, will that make my 30 gallon too crowded?
Thanks!

Well, it would make your tank crowded, but the upside down catfish arent the problem. You have got to get rid of the yellow labs and acei cichlids which are highly aggressive and require a setup tailored specifically to them.

As the cichlids and angelfish mature, hell will break loose as they tear up the angelfish's fins and terrorize every other fish in their sight. If you remove the yellow lab and acei cichlids and add some more upside down catfish you'll be in good shape.

Back
Top Bottom