Help!! What are these!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Imat

Aquarium Advice Regular
They are taking over my tank! I noticed them yesterday for the first time. Today, they are everywhere! What the heck are they and what do I do? I tried to get a decent picture but they move fast. They seem to crawl under rocks too.

I have no live plants
No shrimp (have fed frozen shrimp...)
No snails

I originally had
Oto cats
German Blue rams
Black neon tetras
Neon tetras

But they got ich and most died.

Now i only have
Oto cats
Neon tetras

Help please! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409375589.952978.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409375600.884981.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409375619.931411.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409375629.463724.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have looked at that. i cant tell. It is so hard to get a pic of them. They are everywhere too.
They could be I guess. Or seed shrimp?

Where do they come from? What do I do?

You could get a little type of fish that would like to eat them.

I couldn't tell which little thing it was but fish would usually eat little things like that.

Ok. What kind of fish eat them.

The fact that they crawl makes me think they are seed shrimp. From the pics they appear to oval or round.
OP - do they swim? If so, is it in a circular or zig zag fashion?
My fish (small tetras and danios) eat them when they can.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409453631.288898.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409453850.845131.jpg

I guess they swim in sort if a zig zag. They are fast for sure lol.

Pretty sure they are seed shrimp. Feeding your fish less and/or increased maintenance may help reduce the numbers of these.

Pretty sure they are seed shrimp. Feeding your fish less and/or increased maintenance may help reduce the numbers of these.

I agree they definitely look like ostracods

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How the heck did i get them?? Lol. Been doing regular maintenance and only feed a small amount once a day, BUT i don't have many fish. Lol. Need to get more.

Since you don't have live plants, have you ever poured the store's water into your tank?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No. We are careful about that. We bought the tank used but they didn't have live plants either.
And we have had it for almost a month and they showed up a few days ago for the first time.

Only thing Ive done is feed frozen brine shrimp and worms. The fish don't seem interested in eating the little bugs. Plan on doing another water change tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom