Help!! what are these tiny white bugs in my tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxkitzoxx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Today I picked up a new light for my betta's 20gal tank and when i turned it on I could see so much more clearly in the tank. Then I noticed some little microscopic white bug like things crawling around the front glass panel??? Im so grossed out and kind of scared for my Betta, although the bugs are not on my betta.. just on the glass and some on decor.

-20gal
-15g modified filter (stuffed with sponges)
-Fed 3 times a day (6-7 pellets total) with omega one floating betta pellets, occasionally bloodworms
-45/50% wc every week and treated with Prime
-decor is rinsed in tank water every few weeks
-filter sponges are cleaned every two weeks

I have not checked parameters in awhile, and will check them tomorrow unless this is something urgent.

Additional: My water is clear, i do have small amounts of spot algae that I have to scrape off, but I think that was when I left the tank too long without a wc.

The only new things ive added to my tank are some silk plants for my betta to lay on.

Where could these have come from?

Link to a video: https://instagram.com/p/BVit7ofj843/
IMG_0881.jpg
IMG_0883.jpg
IMG_0882.jpg

He also has two preset heaters in his tank in case one stops working.
He seems to be completely fine, but I dont want him getting sick again :( no matter how angry he gets at me i still love him lol
IMG_0874.jpg

Two things come to mind: copepods or seed shrimp (ostracoderms). Tiny harmless crustaceans.
May have arrived with fish, plants, or decor (from another tank).

Two things come to mind: copepods or seed shrimp (ostracoderms). Tiny harmless crustaceans.
May have arrived with fish, plants, or decor (from another tank).

So you dont think theyre dangerous? Is there something i can add to the tank that will eat them? I dont want alot of them to be in the tank even if theyre harmless

You have to change water more often to get rid of them

Oh ok thats not so bad then. Do they eat the algae on the glass?
I just dont want them to take over the tank or anything like that.

Do you think a snail would eat them?

Neither is dangerous, and both will act as a bit of a clean up crew. I'm not sure bettas or snails will snack on them. Cory cats will. And I've seen my tetras go after them. My betta misses his food when he sees me put it right in front of him, though. So he might just straight up miss something that tiny. (And my only snail is in with my tetras and barbs and is nocturnal. I have no idea what it's eating, other than that it moves around at night.)

Water changes will help. Feeding less will bring their population down. They eat dead/decaying matter, so less to eat = less of them, and your fish will be more likely to hunt, theoretically. I've only seen them in my tetra tank and the tank with my cories. My biggest tank never seems to have them.

Neither is dangerous, and both will act as a bit of a clean up crew. I'm not sure bettas or snails will snack on them. Cory cats will. And I've seen my tetras go after them. My betta misses his food when he sees me put it right in front of him, though. So he might just straight up miss something that tiny. (And my only snail is in with my tetras and barbs and is nocturnal. I have no idea what it's eating, other than that it moves around at night.)

Water changes will help. Feeding less will bring their population down. They eat dead/decaying matter, so less to eat = less of them, and your fish will be more likely to hunt, theoretically. I've only seen them in my tetra tank and the tank with my cories. My biggest tank never seems to have them.

Oh thats cool!! The large number of them just startled me a bit haha

My experience with these...

Hello i have been dealing with these guys for over a month now. At fist I thought it was ich because after these became visible on the glass I noticed white dots on my fish. I had a male and a female betta in a divided 10 gallon wit plants and 2 Chinese algae eaters. I quickly went to the store to buy an extra heater and Frtiz coppersafe to get rid of the ich but it only took 72 hours after doing so for my fish to die. My treatment was the coppersafe and cranking the tank temperature to 84 degrees. I did so after a 50 % water change but some how my tank was infested with these tiny white dots that they were everywhere after the water change. They even swarmed around my fish at one point causing more stress for them. I felt helpless and I tried doing everything I could to help my fish but nothing worked. Right now the only remaining fish are my two Chinese algae eaters and they were not bothered by the ich nor these little white specs. I don't know where they came from either. I want to start my tank new. I feel defeated but this and I miss my beautiful bettas.

From my experience I hate these little bugs. I don't know what they are and they still run my tank. Do everything you can to make sure your fish stays stress free so that they can over run them. Can someone tell me what they exactly are too? I want them gone.

Today I picked up a new light for my betta's 20gal tank and when i turned it on I could see so much more clearly in the tank. Then I noticed some little microscopic white bug like things crawling around the front glass panel??? Im so grossed out and kind of scared for my Betta, although the bugs are not on my betta.. just on the glass and some on decor.

-20gal
-15g modified filter (stuffed with sponges)
-Fed 3 times a day (6-7 pellets total) with omega one floating betta pellets, occasionally bloodworms
-45/50% wc every week and treated with Prime
-decor is rinsed in tank water every few weeks
-filter sponges are cleaned every two weeks

I have not checked parameters in awhile, and will check them tomorrow unless this is something urgent.

Additional: My water is clear, i do have small amounts of spot algae that I have to scrape off, but I think that was when I left the tank too long without a wc.

The only new things ive added to my tank are some silk plants for my betta to lay on.

Where could these have come from?

Link to a video: https://instagram.com/p/BVit7ofj843/
View attachment 300601
View attachment 300602
View attachment 300603

Back
Top Bottom