Help! What are these white specks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cindyjannely

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have these white specks growing on my filter any ideas as to what it could be? Im sort of a beginner and don’t know what could have caused this to grow on the filter? Should I change the filter? I’ve been told to keep the same filter just rinse to keep the beneficial bacteria..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 28
Yes, rinsing filter advice is correct. Who lives in the tank? Any live plants?

Possibly copepods, which is a tiny crustacean. Very nutritious for certain species. Not sure how they started in there but they are a common water dweller and many people cultivate them on purpose. Anyone else here care to weigh in on your experience with them/what eats them?

What lives in your tank - fish, snails, shrimp? Answers here may help you figure out if they're a boon to your fishlife or a nuisance.

That may not be what it is. Opinions?

I'm guessing that whatever it may be, it is or has been in other places in there but has been sucked towards the filter, so that's why it congregates there. Regardless, if you want to get rid of it, rinse the filter and then the remaining floaters can be either sucked up by the old straw method (I know, ew) or something like a paper towel to scoop 'em out.

I have four corycatfish, two dwarf suckers, two gourami, four zebra danios and four tetras in a 40 gal tank. I don’t know where it came from either I have tried rinsing it off but maybe I didn’t rinse it good enough. I’m just worried they will harm the fish but they seem to be staying on the filter

If it is copepods, your cory catfish and gourami should like them.

Some with more experience on this will probably weigh in here shortly, and you'll have more answers.

Back
Top Bottom