HELP ! what can I stuff hollow ornaments with ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
The last time I saw my Betta was about 24 hrs ago. I have a feeling that he managed to wiggle his way into a hollow resin ornament. Its a 30 gal and only 2/3rd of the bottom is covered with "substrate" - I went with those glass rocks this time, less than 1 layer thick with open spaces between to try and cut down on the mulm that might accumulate.
Given that, I got my flashlight out and laid on my back inside the tank cabinet so I could see UP into the ornaments. I didn't find the Betta but I did notice that my snail is inside one of them.

I DON"T WANT TO LOSE ANY FISH TO AN ORNAMENT !! (and I may have lost one already)

I really like the ornaments (at least for now - I'm slowly building a "cave system" in my pottery class to replace them) so I did a search in AA and found that some people stuff the insides of the ornaments with fake plant parts to keep the fish from wedging their way into the narrow crevices. GREAT idea .... except:
1. I don't have any "spare" fake plant parts
2. I want to stuff the entire ornament with something - since I have three and they are fairly large I'd need something that's flexible and not too expensive in quantity

On another note - I need to find the betta, so I'm going to turn all the ornaments over when I'm done with work today. Am I going to completely mess up my tank parameters when I do this ? I know there can be anerobic (sp?) in there as well - are they going to harm the tank or the fish ?

Thanks !!!!

I bought a bag of "filter floss" for my canister filter.It looks a lot like cotten and comes in quite a large bag for just a few bucks.Obviously it aquarium safe.

That may do it..although I'm not sure how it would look.

HTH

Thanks - that's a good idea. The ornaments are hollow but not the type that the fish are SUPPOSED to hide inside of, so I'm not worried about the look.

The other thing I was thinking was that I could fill them with play sand and then use aquarium silicone to "glue" on a thin plastic sheet to the bottom of each.

Ugh - I'm so afraid of what I might find later today when I turn those ornaments over :(

I'm still new to the hobby, so don't put too much stock in my suggestion.

The play sand should be safe as long as you rinse it thouroughly. The only concern I would have, depending on the number of ornaments you are filling and their size, would be how much extra weight that would add to your tank.

Again I am new, so I may be way off base there, but that would be one of my concerns.

Hi Daryth ! I recognize you from other posts. You may be new but I think you're right. The other concern (worry) I just gave myself was that the thin plastic might end up with sharp edges that could hurt my Panda Cories barbels.

I think I'm leaning towards the filter floss - I'd be able to implement that one today and not worry about the curing time on the on the silicone.

I'm SO freaked about my Betta ! He was so happy yesterday - he had me laughing with his begging. I should be able to turn the ornaments over to try and find him in about an hour - I hope he's ok and I hope he LAUGHS at me for worrying

Filling it with aquarium silicon would work. You'd have to leave the ornament out a few days to dry though.

I couldn't wait - I ditched a meeting and turned the ornments over; I looked as best I could since they wouldn't fit through the lid opening and I know I won't have time to completely remove them until later today - NO BETTA ! and now the snail is MIA also - I suspect they both worked their way up into a twisted nook / cranny inside the ornament that I can't see ! I'm going to need to take the ornaments out and somehow flush the inside out to see if I can rescue them. GEEZ why didn't I think of stuffing them earlier .... grrrrrrrrrrrr .... its so easy to make a stupid mistake :(

Gravel

I recently learned that hollow ornaments were a no no too. I was advised to fill the ornament with gravel and using a old cd case to seal it up. that way no water gets in. I have two rock caves that are both hollow inside. they both have a place to swim in and out of but the inside of the actual rock cave is hollow. So I took them out and I am waiting for them to dry inside then i will fill them with gravel and using an old cd case seal it to the bottom of both caves then wait about 3 or 4 days to let the sealant dry then put them back in my aquarium. I should be able the hide the cd cases with gravel. And hopefully I will be even closer to taking good care of my goldies :fish2::fish2::fish2:

joannde said:
The last time I saw my Betta was about 24 hrs ago. I have a feeling that he managed to wiggle his way into a hollow resin ornament. Its a 30 gal and only 2/3rd of the bottom is covered with "substrate" - I went with those glass rocks this time, less than 1 layer thick with open spaces between to try and cut down on the mulm that might accumulate.
Given that, I got my flashlight out and laid on my back inside the tank cabinet so I could see UP into the ornaments. I didn't find the Betta but I did notice that my snail is inside one of them.

I DON"T WANT TO LOSE ANY FISH TO AN ORNAMENT !! (and I may have lost one already)

I really like the ornaments (at least for now - I'm slowly building a "cave system" in my pottery class to replace them) so I did a search in AA and found that some people stuff the insides of the ornaments with fake plant parts to keep the fish from wedging their way into the narrow crevices. GREAT idea .... except:
1. I don't have any "spare" fake plant parts
2. I want to stuff the entire ornament with something - since I have three and they are fairly large I'd need something that's flexible and not too expensive in quantity

On another note - I need to find the betta, so I'm going to turn all the ornaments over when I'm done with work today. Am I going to completely mess up my tank parameters when I do this ? I know there can be anerobic (sp?) in there as well - are they going to harm the tank or the fish ?

Thanks !!!!

I would try the floss it can serve 2 purpose. It'll also grow bb

is he the only fish in the tank? i would lay the decorations on there side until you find them. is there anyway he could have jumped out? or gotten into the filter?

Back
Top Bottom