Help! What is this stuff?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jchrstn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just noticed today that there are a bunch of small white strings hanging off of the walls of my tank, decorations, and plants. As far as I can tell it isn't on the fish, so I don't think it is a parasite. But I am worried. Is it just a type of algae? Can I just clean it off? They aren't big, probably about 1-2 cm in length.

Thanks!

I'll try but I don't think my camera will like it. You can only see them if you are looking at the tank really closely - and my camera isn't the greatest....

I know I just discovered some white worm looking things in my snail tank as well... They are really rally tiny and have black tips on them . Planaria was suggested to me, so that might be what you have

They're probably planaria or possibly hydra, if you've added some stuff from outside. Hydra kind of look like a tiny coral, and planaria look more like worms.

It's also possible that it is algae/buildup... (can't remember which, or if it's a combination), but if you cleaned the tank recently, and alot of stuff got stirred up, some might end up building up on the glass on a gelly substance, and it might look stringy.. Sorry, I've been out of the game for awhile ><

I did just vaccum my tank, do a water change, and mess an airstone that was being difficult. So I could have easily stirred up stuff.

I did notice that they are white and at the ends some of them split. They really kinda look like small white underwater split ends!

Thank you all for you help!

My thread algae looks like think greenish-white strings if I don't clean the class for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom