Help!!! What is wrong with my blue platy:(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JacobThomson

Aquarium Advice Freak
I came home to find my tank kind of disturbed! My 2 guppies were at the top in one corner the other guppy was in another corner, my rummy nose tetras were at the bottom and my 2 blue Platies were separate (they're always together), none of them were really swimming anywhere, they were all just staying in the place? This is when I realised my Platy, tail looks as if pieces are missing, scales on the top of him also look to have gone missing? I have no clue what to do or what it is? Any help at all would be appreciated! Need to know more just ask! Thanks'

Attachments

• image-3931963606.jpg
    image-3931963606.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 69
  • image-1812468022.jpg
    image-1812468022.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 73
  • image-4255801808.jpg
    image-4255801808.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 75
  • image-1171896289.jpg
    image-1171896289.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 64
  • image-3831257430.jpg
    image-3831257430.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 64
  • image-2962027217.jpg
    image-2962027217.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 63
  • image-3672231402.jpg
    image-3672231402.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 62
How long has the tank been running? It looks very much like fin rot. Have you introduced anything new. Can be caused by stress from other fish bullying or chasing or water parameters or parasite?

I came home to find my tank kind of disturbed! My 2 guppies were at the top in one corner the other guppy was in another corner, my rummy nose tetras were at the bottom and my 2 blue Platies were separate (they're always together), none of them were really swimming anywhere, they were all just staying in the place? This is when I realised my Platy, tail looks as if pieces are missing, scales on the top of him also look to have gone missing? I have no clue what to do or what it is? Any help at all would be appreciated! Need to know more just ask! Thanks'

Have you noticed any aggression? If not then its probably fin rot :(

How long has the tank been running? It looks very much like fin rot. Have you introduced anything new. Can be caused by stress from other fish bullying or chasing or water parameters or parasite?

Tank has been set up about a month and half - 2 months! All of the fish were added at the same time so nothing's new! So fin rot?

Have you added anything new to your tank recently? Cause whatever you added may have had a sickness. But on a happier note, that orange fish in you picture? The male Guppy? Gorgeous!

No all of this fish were added at the same time:( yeah he is! I also have a pregnant guppy, so hopefully may have some more just as good looking!

If there has been no aggression or extreme chasing it is likely to be fin rot caused by lack of cycle. Whats your paramters? What did you use to cycle? Your lfs will have treatments which can help but the water conditions need to be tip top or it will make the treatment useless

If there has been no aggression or extreme chasing it is likely to be fin rot caused by lack of cycle. Whats your paramters? What did you use to cycle? Your lfs will have treatments which can help but the water conditions need to be tip top or it will make the treatment useless

I cycled the tank empty for a month before adding any fish? All of my levels are okay! 7.9 ph, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate and 0 nitrite?

What did you use to cycle. And what test do you use. Nitrates at 0 in my experience is very rare. Are all other fish ok?

What did you use to cycle. And what test do you use. Nitrates at 0 in my experience is very rare. Are all other fish ok?

All the others are fine! I used the API master test kit?

Attachments

• image-1802453513.jpg
    image-1802453513.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 42

Hi I've just ran another test and I have high ammonia and nitrite, earlier it was fine and I've never had this problem before! I just ordered some AmQuel+ to lower it! Will the fish eventually die?

Nitrate test can need a really good shake. Like a shake like your insane for 30 seconds. Plus api even recomend a bang on the table lol. Is the fin getting worse?

Nitrate test can need a really good shake. Like a shake like your insane for 30 seconds. Plus api even recomend a bang on the table lol. Is the fin getting worse?
No actually his fin looks better today! I did a 40% water change!

If you have fish that tolerate tonic salt then adding that would be a good move to kill infection

Yeah its salt for aquariums a bit like rock salt very cheap and very useful in aquariums. Most tolerate it. Some thrive with it. But it defo works on killing bacteria same as in humans usually a quick google will tell you. Clown loaches and corydoras arent to keen but ive used it with guppies tetras mollies etc in the past.

Yeah its salt for aquariums a bit like rock salt very cheap and very useful in aquariums. Most tolerate it. Some thrive with it. But it defo works on killing bacteria same as in humans usually a quick google will tell you. Clown loaches and corydoras arent to keen but ive used it with guppies tetras mollies etc in the past.

Thank you so much for you help!

Back
Top Bottom