Help! What kind of fish is this??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteffeyJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello!
My LFS had these listed as 'half banded loaches'
However, the pics I see online dont look much like the fish I have...
Are these half banded loaches? Or something else?
One of them doesn't even have stripes. Just a white belly and light gray top half..
2 of them, do have stripes on the top half. They have a white belly, and the top half is gray with light gray streaks across..
2 of them have quite larger bellies..
With one, being VERY large in the belly... but have yet to see babies or eggs or anything.. so not sure..

Any help is greatly appreciated!
And I will try to get more pics if I have the chance!!
Fish are not very photogenic ? haha!
Thanks again for any info!
Jasmine.

Attachments

• 20210727_143816.jpg
    20210727_143816.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 50
They dont really suck on the glass or suck on anything else really.. so I dont think they're oto's.

They are VERY active any time I feed blood worms. (Frozen & thawed or freeze dried) they really like that.
But they definitely dont look like any half banded loaches on google images lol. And only 1 out of 4 actually has somewhat of 'bands' or stripes on its top half.
They're mostly just gray & light gray on top with a white belly.. and have a very jaggery looking top fin..
Really wonder what they really are....

Another photo

Here is another pic of another one of them.
This one has quite the plump belly as well!
But I dont really see any stripes or 'bands'

Attachments

• 20210728_220357.jpg
    20210728_220357.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 48
To me, it looks and sounds like a half banded loach. I can see the signature stripes, it just needs to colour up or maybe mature some more before they show fully. It’s too thin and long to be an otocinclus, and the described behaviour would also suggest it’s not an oto to me.

I agree.
I do now believe they ARE in fact, half banded loaches.
They just dont have as prominent stripes as most seem to. But I still love them! :)

Back
Top Bottom