HELP! What's going on with my tank?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The tank looks fantastic!!! Great job!

If I were a fish, I'd definitely want to live there. :D

Tank looks very good. I have to agree that we have all been down that road. When we see fish we want, we just buy...buy...buy. Then we look and everything is going to pieces. It is good that you did the right thing.

Your nitrAtes should start going lower, in the meantime you could get some hornwort and float it. My fully stocked 55g has hornwort, duckweed, swords, and lots of stem plants. NitrAtes are about 5ppm.

adadkins1 said:
Tank looks very good. I have to agree that we have all been down that road. When we see fish we want, we just buy...buy...buy. Then we look and everything is going to pieces. It is good that you did the right thing.

Your nitrAtes should start going lower, in the meantime you could get some hornwort and float it. My fully stocked 55g has hornwort, duckweed, swords, and lots of stem plants. NitrAtes are about 5ppm.

If you mean floating plants, I ordered some from jeta... Other then that I have lots and lots of Anubias.

And thanks for the tank compliment. I opened it up a lot. You may not be able to tell but trust me. I took a huge fake plant out. A bunch of decor rocks and lava rocks and 3 of those petco black logs. Figured give them more room to swim. They still have plenty of hiding places and I was able to configure my little tunnel again which made me happy. It starts on the right side where the slate is. And that's getting covered with Anubias.

Last edited:
Awesome that you are getting some from jeta. They should get your nitrAtes down now that you are not really overstocked. The floaters will do a lot more than Anubias because the floaters grow faster and thus take up more nutrients. The Anubias is still pretty cool though, I need to get some for my low light tanks.

I had hornwort melt once, I have no clue why it does it. This past batch I got has been superb. Anacharis is pretty sweet also, I had a floating strand get 3' long.

Definitely get some pictures up when you get the new floaters in!

adadkins1 said:
I had hornwort melt once, I have no clue why it does it. This past batch I got has been superb. Anacharis is pretty sweet also, I had a floating strand get 3' long.

Definitely get some pictures up when you get the new floaters in!

Really? My hornwort does well..i have too much lol

Yeah, the batch I have currently has covered nearly half of my tank. It has done very well and my Dwarf Gourami is enjoying making a bubble nest in the stuff. The first couple stems I received on accident with some Ghost Shrimp. Upon putting it in my tank it lost all of its needles like a Chrsitmas tree. All that I had left was the little stems, but after a month or two they started to grow again. I don't really know, some people say there are two different species of hornwort. One type will melt and the other type adjusts fine; don't hold me to that though.

adadkins1 said:
Oh, you super glued them on! I was thinking they had already attached via the rhizomes.

Krazy Glue the gel kind that dries clear. Wanted to break up the rocks in to corner. I felt it looked to cluttered with rocks. I'm gonna leave the left side alone.

I actually like the looks of it. When a tank is overstocked, it starts to look too busy to me; and this is coming from the guy who stocks liberally!

Back
Top Bottom