HELP! What's going on with my tank?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did you take this picture at the 5 minute mark after adding the drops?

Almost sounds like you stirred up something and had a mini cycle. No missing fish?

The bacteria that change nitrite to nitrate are doing a really good job? Mine is doing that daily but its only a week and a half old.

Ardynas said:
Did you take this picture at the 5 minute mark after adding the drops?

Almost sounds like you stirred up something and had a mini cycle. Nothing died right?

I took it 4 minute mark and shook the 2nd bottle like crazy!!

I haven't seen anything dead nor am I missing anything. Only other thing I did was clean the canister. By that I mean rinse sponges in tank water and that's it. Put back together and hooked it back together. Am I gonna have to do another water change?

KaylNeko said:
The bacteria that change nitrite to nitrate are doing a really good job? Mine is doing that daily but its only a week and a half old.

I don't know what's going on.

I'm also worried because the water has been brown today due hydrant flushing, so is it safe to add it? It's like a tea color. I tested the tap water and it's fine. But I don't know what else is in the water. When they flush the hydrants it's always brown for a while.

I read this and wondered if it had anything to do with your spike.

The solution for removing nitrates is pretty much the same. Water changes and plants.

Did you say you have Nitrates in your tap?

Have you tested your tap water for nitrate lately? Sometimes the municipalities change the chemicals they use in the water so it might be something to test just to rule it out.

I read through the other post and I'm not really sure what else it could be. You seem to have good maintenance and have cleaned the filter media recently (sometimes gunk can get caught in the filters which can cause nitrates to spike). So this has just happened recently? How long has the tank been set up? Are you sure there's no dead fish anywhere?

UPDATE!!!

Ok I feel kinda better now. Yes I do a very well job at maintaining my tank, thank you! Also I've tested my tap and nothing!

But.... Sadly I found her dead :(

View attachment 71368

Pieces everywhere :(

Last edited:
Sounds to me like you're overstocked. If you can't keep nitrate under 20ppm, heck, even 40ppm... especially if you're doing the maintenance you claim, you're overstocked.

Sorry bout your fish. :(

Sounds like your bacteria has been working overtime to process the extra work load, thus the spike. You should be OK after a few pwc's.

mfdrookie516 said:
Sounds to me like you're overstocked. If you can't keep nitrate under 20ppm, heck, even 40ppm... especially if you're doing the maintenance you claim, you're overstocked.

I know I'm overstocked it's no secret here onthe forum and I've said it time and time again, thats why I went the fx5, I take offense to your wording "claim" almost like your being facetious. I have no reason to exaggerate my maintenance regimen to anyone here. Not being accurate with telling the members here how I maintain my tank will only hurt me in the long run when there trying to help me.

Maybe I'm just oversensitive right now between the tank situation and my wife having a biopsy on her uterus for cancer. If I'm wrong I apologize. I do what I can all the time to ensure my guys are healthy and safe. I'm very dedicated. I'll be doing another water change now.

Last edited:
Ardynas said:
Sorry bout your fish. :(

Sounds like your bacteria has been working overtime to process the extra work load, thus the spike. You should be OK after a few pwc's.

Thank you! Setting up for another wc now.

so sorry to hear about your wife. i will keep her in my thoughts and prayers. wishing you both all the best.

Sorry bout everything :( I have overstocked accidentally before, it's a live and learn process that we must learn over time. Love your avvie pic btw

Aw man!!! That must be it, all those dead fish pieces..at least you now know the reason fir the trates, good and bad.

Hope your wife is okay, thats a bummer. At least she has her puffers:)

I'm sorry to hear about you wife!
MFD is right though. If the nitrates stay that high ,even with the frequent large water changes you do, it means you have way too many fish in the tank. The high filtration will remove large bits of waste and filter high amounts of water to be 'treated' by the BB. The nitrates are the end product of all the waste your fish produce and no amount of filtration will bring that number down. Keep up the frequent testing and water changes but if you can't get the nitrates down to 20-40ppm and keep them there I think your going to have to look into rehoming some fish, sorry.

Sammy S said:
Sorry bout everything :( I have overstocked accidentally before, it's a live and learn process that we must learn over time. Love your avvie pic btw

Yes we live and learn. And now I know. Yeah I took that picture at the LFS they have a HUGE selection of SW fish.

Gboy66 said:
Aw man!!! That must be it, all those dead fish pieces..at least you now know the reason fir the trates, good and bad.

Hope your wife is okay, thats a bummer. At least she has her puffers:)

Man Gboy I wish!! Her peas puffer died last night :(

Things aren't going so well right now. :(

Back
Top Bottom