Help!!!....What's growing on my lava rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elephantnose

Aquarium Advice Addict
I added lawn lava rocks To my tank. Within an hour these green things showed up on the rock. Is this something I should be worried about or is some cool plant going to grow.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400546113.383079.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400546146.267583.jpg

I would not advise adding anything from your lawn.
It's probably some type of terrestrial plant seeds that were embedded in the rock and when they became wet, started to germinate. 1 hour seems way too fast for it to be any algae. If I were you I'd take the rocks out because there are a number of undesirable things in lawns such as fertilizers and weed killers that you don't want in a tank. But you could keep a rock in a cup of water to see what those grow into :)

I agree with Khuligirl. My guess it is a terrestrial moss that won't show up until it gets wet. At any rate, if you wanted to use those rocks you would need to either boil them (don't do it--they might explode) or soak them in a mild bleach solution for 15 minutes, then soak again in water with lots of dechlorinator and let dry out for several days. There is still the chance of oil-based insecticide or herbicide chemical residue. Not sure if it is worth it.

I boiled them for an hour or two. Making sure they didn't explode. My lawn doesn't receive any pesticides or chemicals.

Certain spores can survive boiling, but not many. My bet is it is still a terrestrial form of moss or lichen. I'm not sure if blue-green algae endospores (cyanobacteria) can survive boiling, but that is another possibility.

Before I put the rock in my main tank I threw some in a tank full of feeder fish. So dr it's been a week and all the feeder fish are still alive.

Back
Top Bottom