Help! Whats wrong w/my aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shibb

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I am a newbie and I need some help. I setup a 10 gallon aquarium w/a penguin 125 filter for my parents and there is this pink cottony stuff growing in there and I don't know what it is, where it is coming from, or how to get rid of it. The tank was fine at first then this stuff started appearing. Now some of the gravel and the sides of the tank are turning this rusty color. The fish seem to be fine though. My white clouds just swim most of it but I feel bad for the Corys on the bottom. Can anyone help? Any insight on whats going on and/or how to fix it is GREATLY APPRECIATED.

pictures at the link below:
http://www.17712.com/01fish-problem.jpg

It is just probably some algae growing. Have you got any algae eaters? If you don't, then you should probably get one. Also, is the tank in direct sunlight? Because it helps remove algae if it is. :mrgreen:

Yeah, I can't identify that but honestly it looks really nasty. If your fish are acting perfectly normal it may not harm them, but I would attempt to control it, or get rid of it entirely.

I'd do some partial water changes and siphon that gunk out! Never seen that before, but it sure looks yucky! I agree with Sati that if your fish are acting normally, it may not harm them, but better safe than sorry. Clean water is always a good thing.

Do you feed your fish algae tablets? If these sit to long in the tank they get fuzzy and take on other colors. The rust colored algae in the tank can be controlled by more frequent water changes.

Back
Top Bottom