Help! White spots on side of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kristineking89

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm wondering what these hard white/yellow looking spots are on the side of the tank. I've used a magnetic scrubber to get them off but without much luck. Does anybody know what they are?
You can also see them on the filer in the back.

Any advice is helpful because I just inherited this setup!

Thanks,
Kristine

Attachments

• 20210519_084412.jpg
    20210519_084412.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 48
That is, if you have nerite snails. Look up pictures of them online (there's quite a variety) to see if you have anything that looks like them. They're good little cleaning guys to keep the place clean. Of course, you don't need hundreds or even dozens in a tank that size.

They could also be limpets, another snail. In either case, try three ways to remove them, all involving putting your clean hands in the water: scrape with a fingernail, scrub with a scrubby sponge (I cut a small chunk out of a large kitchen one, it is expressly for hard-to- remove things on aquarium glass), or if it's really difficult, a razor blade carefully wedging them off. The presence of your hand ought to be enough to keep fish away from the razor, blade, if it comes to that.

When you buy a nerite snail it is always best to get a male....

That is, if you have nerite snails. Look up pictures of them online (there's quite a variety) to see if you have anything that looks like them. They're good little cleaning guys to keep the place clean. Of course, you don't need hundreds or even dozens in a tank that size.

They could also be limpets, another snail. In either case, try three ways to remove them, all involving putting your clean hands in the water: scrape with a fingernail, scrub with a scrubby sponge (I cut a small chunk out of a large kitchen one, it is expressly for hard-to- remove things on aquarium glass), or if it's really difficult, a razor blade carefully wedging them off. The presence of your hand ought to be enough to keep fish away from the razor, blade, if it comes to that.
Isnt that a nerite snail on the heater?

Looks like it, but too blurry for my eyes to be sure it's not a reflection of something else. kristineking89, what did you find? Do you have nerites? Any luck getting those spots off?

I got a cheap set of dental tools from poundland. The scalers are great for picking nerite snail eggs off driftwood and there is a plastic paddle shaped tool that scrapes them off glass. Not found a use for the little mirror thing.

Back
Top Bottom