Help with 5 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

micaelaarnold

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys-

Now that my 22 gallon tank is established (just got a albino bristlenose pleco two weeks ago, monitoring water levels daily, and super super happy with the results) I was thinking about tackling my five gallon hexagonal shaped tank once more! I know plenty more than I did 6 months ago and I think I'm up for the challenge of a micro tank ? I have a few questions, however, for all of you lovely people who have been so kind to help me out with my last tank!

I have figured out that I am going to start live plants, however I have looked up the process of planting quite a bit and come up with some confusing results.
Would I need a CO2 system if I get this: ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432256421.883563.jpg

I was also wondering what lighting I should use. I don't want to make it too bright since it is such a small tank, so I was thinking medium lighting. What kind of plants would I be an option for this type of lighting arrangement?

Also, I'm in a fish-picking dilemma. I have seen mixed reviews on what kinds of fish to put in a 5 gallon, for example some say that if you can keep pristine water conditions and cycle thoroughly then you could make a dwarf puffer work (which I would ecstatic if this is true). However I have also read that they need a minimum of 10 gallons. Does anyone have experience with this fish or valuable Advice on an alternate option? I am aware that Bettas are a go-to choice in this situation, but I was thinking something different and unique. Something exciting!

Thank you so much ahead of time and I look forward to hearing all of your advice and critique?

•22 gal zebra danio, 75 gal red ear slider•

A Betta would work, a 5 gallon is definitely better than a tiny fish store jar. But I gotta say, Bettas are happier in 10 gallon and above tanks. I personally use 10 gallon tanks for Betta fish.

A Betta would work, a 5 gallon is definitely better than a tiny fish store jar. But I gotta say, Bettas are happier in 10 gallon and above tanks. I personally use 10 gallon tanks for Betta fish.

Hi! I've seen some pretty Bettas that I may be interested in once this tank is up and running. However would you possibly know any alternate fish that could be an option for my 5 gallon?
Thank you for the response ?

I cannot recommend fish for a 5 gallon.

I can recommend looking into shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright, I've seen some gorgeous shrimp so I'll totally look into those☺️

Alright,
I've done a little more research and found Dwarf Killifish. I've heard they're hardy and good for five gallon aquariums. I also found neon yellow shrimp ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432309050.420403.jpg

Those guys I think would go great with some yellow killifish!
Anyone have any opinion? Agree? Disagree?
Any advice is much appreciated ?

The yellow shrimp look nice! If research says killifish are okay then I guess you are fine. I have no experience with killifish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There appear to be lots of nano fish that can potentially be kept in a 5g. Just takes a bit of planning and research.

Those yellow shrimp look awesome. Curious to hear how they do for you. Been thinking of yellows or blues for my 5g.

The micro rasbora species can be great in 5 gallons. Look up chili rasboras.

For CO2, rather than the API CO2 booster I would go with Excel or better yet it's WAY CHEAPER equivalent, Metricide 14.

Gotta be honest I would keep the 5 as QT tank.

Keep it bare bottom, little to no decor, and a cheap filter w/heater.

This tank will become indispensable as a way to intro new fish and as a hospital.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you guys for your input☺️ I'm very grateful! Those chili rasboras are gorgeous! I'm seriously considering those! I'm In love with the yellow shrimp so I'm going to try to get a couple of those ?
As for a QT tank, I don't really have any need for one (at least I don't see any need) at the moment. All I have is a 20 gallon with danios and a pleco and some bottom dwellers. I don't see any large additions coming in the future and if they get sick I can easily get another tank for cheap to quarantine them in. What I am looking for is the challenge of a small tank. If I do end up moving my danios and pleco into a larger tank and getting some cichlids, then I would slowly migrate the five gallon into the 20 and make the 5 into a QT tank, because then I would be getting more expensive fish and I would see more use of it in that situation. Thank you for your input though ☺️

I have seen African dwarf frogs and they have such personality and seem to be easy to care for- little waste (which is perfect for a small tank) and they require a temp that is easy to keep. Would one or two of these be decent for a 5 gallon? I have researched and it said that 2 gallons is even good for one frog (I would never go that far to have a 2 gallon tank, but just for reference). And if I got one or two, would a guppy be a good addition to it for a Pop of color? Or would that be too much for the bio load?

Depends on how deep the tank is. It's better to have a really shallow tank because these frogs are weak swimmers and need to get to the top to breath air. That being said, I would put the limit at 8-10" tall. Puffers are always awesome, but you have to be prepared to set it up with plants and to keep up with water changes. I recently moved mine into a 5.5 gallon and he loves it already! I feed live worms, and you should be prepared to do that as well. They are really cool fish and I have had really good experiences with them, although they are aggressive. You could also do scarlet badis and shrimp, the badis wouldn't eat the adults but would eat babies, and that rep the shrimp population in check. or you could do all shrimp.

Your puffer does great in a 5 gallon? That's great news! I was starting to get disappointed because a puffer is what I would really like. Hearing this, my tank would be too deep for a frog probably and I can definitely keep up with water changes, my 22 gal requires them frequently due to my pleco (messy little buggers!)
Thank you so much! It was great to hear so positive feed back for a puffer in a five gallon?

A dwarf puffer would be fine in a 5 gallon- assuming the footprint is ok. What are the dimensions?

Also, keep in mind that feeding dwarf puffers is quite a challenge. Even getting them to eat frozen food can be hard, and some refuse anything but live food. They also need top notch water quality.

A dwarf puffer would be fine in a 5 gallon- assuming the footprint is ok. What are the dimensions?

Also, keep in mind that feeding dwarf puffers is quite a challenge. Even getting them to eat frozen food can be hard, and some refuse anything but live food. They also need top notch water quality.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433220160.640042.jpg
This is all the info on my tank. I have read they are picky eaters but I am willing to give it a try. I have a couple snails that have mated many times so once I see eggs I am going to raise some baby snails for it and then I can order brine shrimp and such online. I will just have to find the right food for that particular puffer that I get!

I will be cycling ahead of time with no fish in it, which will be new for me since I did fish in cycling for my 20 gallon. What I was thinking was I would get the shrimp and place them in their home once it seems the water levels have been good and see how the parameters fair for them. I've got a tetra filter whisper that came with the tank but I am open to any and all suggestions on better filters out their for having a small puffer tank ☺️

Thank you for the information! It is very helpful ?

-another question for you guys...

I have a sponge filter for this five gallon. If I run it in my already cycled 30 gallon would that cycle it?

•30 gallon community-10 gallon hermit crab-5 gallon betta WIP-30 gallon bearded dragon WIP•

I have a 5.5 gallon tank and have 5 neon tetras with a few shrimp! They seem very happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your puffer does great in a 5 gallon? That's great news! I was starting to get disappointed because a puffer is what I would really like. Hearing this, my tank would be too deep for a frog probably and I can definitely keep up with water changes, my 22 gal requires them frequently due to my pleco (messy little buggers!)
Thank you so much! It was great to hear so positive feed back for a puffer in a five gallon?

I've had my ADFs in a 5 gallon for a while though I've moved them to a 3 gallon since my Betta is really territorial. Getting to the top in a 5 gallon really isn't an issue for them at all. I have the Marineland 5 gallon crescent.

I don't have the space for a 10 gallon but my Betta is in a cycled, heated and planted 5 gallon. He's pretty happy as far as I can tell!! I think a 5 gallon is perfectly fine (minimum for a Betta imo) but bigger is definitely better. :)

Back
Top Bottom