help with aggressive gourami pleaase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annnie

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

My little darling Opaline Gourami has recently developed an attitude against all my fish. I was wandering if anyone could give me advice on what to do.
They are currently in a 8-9 gallon tank, i do PWC every 2-3 days. Im currently looking for a large house to move into and when i get into it ill be getting at least a 75 gallon. But for now their in this tank. Hes only about 2 inches at the moment.

Will lowering the temperature help?.. i think i skim read that somewhere once.

I heard getting a female will draw his attention away from the others but i have a feeling the tank is too small to do that?

I cant move anyone because my other tank has a grumpy betta and his shrimp gang which i moved the cories from.

I should be getting this house and tank in between now and a few weeks.. hopefully at the latest early feburary..

any help would be awsome!

LOL @ the shrimp gang! I feel bad for you and your meanie/smart aqua pets! I guess what I would do is get a divider or something, until you move.

i got some more shrimp homies for bubbles haha. All day i was on the computer house hunting and had my eye on the little gourami.. all day i was just yelling.. "lenny!!!.. lennyy!!! dont you touch her! noo dont touch herrr!" The female cory is always out in the open and lenny keeps going up to her with his feelers hahaha the neighbours would probably think i'm yelling at a naughty child.
i was thinking of diving bubble's tank and putting the cories back for now because the cories need alot of swimming space and so does the gourami and the tank is too small, whereas bubbles is a little less needy :p

Do you have live plants or fake plants/ornaments? Maybe try re-arranging the plants/ornaments and see if that helps.

Oh yeah, never thought of that lol. I did that with my mean guy and it worked.
LOL @ the feelers! I know EXACTLY what you are talking about!!!
OMG, you crack me up! Shrimp homies...hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Do they have little shrimp bandanas? :D

haha bubbles and the shrimp are all red so at least their dressed like a gang. Yes! you understand the feeler thing hahahaha its just so funny! When i hand feed him he's got his feelers on my hand while eating haha.

do you reckon i could divide bubbles up and put the gourami in his tank? I'm not sure if he'd eat the shrimp? :/

Do you have live plants or fake plants/ornaments? Maybe try re-arranging the plants/ornaments and see if that helps.

sorry i didnt realise i didnt reply. i have live plants and a rock, cave, arch type of thing. I've tried rearranging but still nothing.. it also didnt work on my betta's tank.. he just totally didnt care everything was different he still recognised his "enemies" the cories.

Well, my gouramis never bothered any loaches or snails, but I don't know about the one you have.

Your stories STILL make me laugh!!! Whenever I see you have posted, I have to go check it out because I know it's going to make me giggle! :D

hmm well i have seen him nip at the snails more and more.. he'd probably eat them if he could!.. i've seen little snails fall and hes like "oooo food" then spits them out. I swear he thinks everything is food! anything fly past he just has that dumb seagull look "MINE MINE MINE"
img_1071197_0_cc9de29665947a11677853ce5834ed23.jpg

Your stories STILL make me laugh!!! Whenever I see you have posted, I have to go check it out because I know it's going to make me giggle! :grin:
haha thanks! its all the fish.. their so funny with their little personalities.. its easy to relate them to people haha

ROFL!!! Thanks for adding the pic too!!! HAHAAAAAA! I love Bubbles! He (and you) are sooooo funny!

What did you end up doing with the gourami?

haha the photo was needed for visual effects :p.
ugg the gourami.. still in with the others :( .. i tried seperating but noone wanted to co-operate.. well the corys and guppies didnt.. the gourami followed me nicely. but yeah they went insane and the corys are so strong and made gaps between the tank and the divider and i couldnt catch anyone.. lots of jumping and bashing around. I found out today that we got the house sooo i think its tank shopping time haha.. but its a pain trying to find a good 1 :-/

Congrats on the House...
I'm actually very jealous of your Gourami showing his face.. Mine are so Shy, they will swim around like nothing bothers them but as soon as I come close to the tank to watch them, they hide in the caves or in the plants. I never see mine :(

gouramis can be jerks. I had mine isolated in a 5 gal until I got a 55. he tried some stuff with the severums, and a week later I found him out the back of the tank.

I've had Gouramis, they are the biggest gluttons I have ever seen! Annnie is absolutely right, Gouramis are interested only in food. Their stomach instead of the brain :)

Oh, I disagree. My gourami spits water at me, lets me pet him and jumps out of the water (not the tank lol). He's super cool. :D

Congrats on the House
thanks to both of you! i cant wait to move in next week.. this student accommodation is ridiculous! btw.. any advice on moving the tanks? :-/

I'm actually very jealous of your Gourami showing his face
aww what gourami have you got? i picked out mine for being the most respondent in the fish store.

Andrey its so true! haha.. i think he blames the cories for his hunger. I've been working really early lately (which i'm not used to functioning so early in the morning) so i forget and they only got dinner for a few days. Ever since then hes hated everyone in the tank. He probably thinks they ate all the food those mornings and he doesnt want that to happen again haha.

He's super cool
hehe they are cool!.. even tho his agression is so annoying he sucks up with hand feeding and petting. Hes only spat water at me once haha.. it was when i did the first PWC with him in the tank.

update with trying to stop his agression: I bought a bunch of java moss and some plants. Worked for the first couple of hours.. BUT then dinner time came.
just to be sure.. how much should i be feeding him? Hes only about 2.5 inches.

"aww what gourami have you got? i picked out mine for being the most respondent in the fish store."

I have 4 Striped Gouramis. And they are shy ! They are very nice though, beautiful colors, but I can only enjoy them from far away. They hide as soon as they see me.
They are with Corys (which are breeding like there is no tomorrow. Found 5 Frys in my Canister filter (3 of them being fully developped)
I have 5 Bolivian Rams in a QT (Just got them, so they are under observation).

Back
Top Bottom