Help with ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Graemecookie

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just tested water for ammonia here is what I found! (See pic)

I always get female guppies dying! I do water changes every 4 days or so . Fed up now with how to sort it out.

image-3867005136.jpg

A little more info is needed. You're ammonia looks non existent based on the pic or .25 at the most. What are your nitrite & nitrate readings? How old is the tank? What is the stocking; type & quantity of fish? Tank size? Filtration? How long have you had the fish? What water conditioner are you using? If you can provide more info we might be able to help you figure out why you're losing fish.

I have 7 cherry shrimps , 2 glo light tetra , 8 baby guppies and 5 adult guppies. 165 litre tank!
It's sand based and been set up about 6 months!

First pic is nitrate
Second is nitrite

image-1709689578.jpg

image-2239308907.jpg

Please help

Do you use prime with your water changes? Possibly chlorine poisoning?

2 male guppies and 4 females and not sure about the babies! The filter I use is the standard one that comes in an aqua one 850.
Not sure wht it's called. Hope this helps

Is that the tank with the filter in the lid the filter system in those are supposed to be extremely good so I don't think it's filter related

Is that the tank with the filter in the lid the filter system in those are supposed to be extremely good so I don't think it's filter related

If it is filter related issues we would be seeing spikes of either ammonia or nitrite. What are your nitrate readings? Those can be just as important as the ammonia or nitrite readings, especially since your water supply can contain large amounts of nitrates, especially when the farmers are fertilizing their fields.

How do the guppies act before they die? Are they floating at the top gasping? Are there any visible growths on them? Are they scratching against decorations?? Open wounds?

They are at the top of the water for about a day and get really thin . Then end up dead.

I've found that if fish are gulping at the surface it's lack of oxygen my air pump failed foe a night I lost 4 fish got a new one next day replaced fish and fine for months since

Back
Top Bottom