Help with baby cory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darcytulullah

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

I recently found a baby false julii cory in my 54L tank while I was moving all of my fish into my 150L. When I found the baby that's only about 2.5cm I moved it into a 25L tank as I was worried it would struggle to find food in the bigger tank. I have no idea how old the baby is but it eats the standard catfish pellets I feed the adults, I didn't even know the fish had been breeding as the only time i've seen them lay eggs they had been eaten before I noticed.
My 150L had a huge leak this weekend, the entire line of silicone on the front edge of the tank gave way (that's another story :facepalm:) all the fish were saved and are back in the 54L tank.

My question is, do you think I should continue to grow the baby in the 25L, or would it benefit from being in a school with the adult fish? It obviously lived with them from hatching until now for what I can only assume was a few months based on the size it is, but i'm worried the adults may hurt it if i re introduce it now. Any ideas??

I'll attach a picture (mostly because I think its so cute)

Attachments

• 104462749_618204299054054_1402538530412626783_n.jpg
    104462749_618204299054054_1402538530412626783_n.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 54
I dont breed corys intensionally, but every month or so i get a baby panda cory. Once they get to a size that i can see them they have always grown to adulthood. They are kept in a 200 litre tank with cardinal tetras, black + red phantom tetras, silvertip tetras, zebra danios, and angelfish.

I dont know what else you are keeping, but i have never lost a cory once it gets to around 1cm. I think it would benefit being with other corys, and once they are breeding dont be surprised to get more babys.

Thank you for your reply, it's only guppies and cardinal tetras that live in the tank other than the corys so nothing I would worry about, it was more the adult corys that I was concerned with. I think i've gotten a little too emotionally invested in this one baby as it's the first one i've had :lol:

I tell a lie. I did find some baby corys dead in my canister filter. They were too big to have got sucked in there through the intake strainer, so they must have gone in as fry and somehow eeked out an existance for a while. I always check my canister now when i see a baby in the tank, just in case.

Back
Top Bottom