Help with betta!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandon K.A

Aquarium Advice Freak
My betta has a big stomach and I am afraid he has that dropsy disease. His scales look stretched, I don't know if he has pinecone like scales that the dropsy would give him, but that area seems to be a little white. Or light red..not sure, I took some pictures attached. Also, he seems to be swimming normally, and except for the fact he may be leaning on the side with the enlarged stomach?? Not sure, may seem like it though.

Attachments

• image-616268138.jpg
    image-616268138.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 100
  • image-1979086752.jpg
    image-1979086752.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 107
  • image-2469637069.jpg
    image-2469637069.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 96
  • image-626607705.jpg
    image-626607705.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 105
I think he eats a lot, probably my fault, as I think I do feed the fish a lot.. I should stop feeding them a lot. How much should I feed him? Cause I usually just shake the food container and numerous flakes come out, but didn't realize he would eat so much of it. I should have know it was too much food... Foolish newbie mistake!

He just needs a flake maybe two every day. Mine get a couple meaning 2-3 pellets once a day. Every few days I give them a blood worm or two. They do not need much food at all.

It's not dropsy. It's bloated for sure. Meaning u are feeding it too much. What kinda food are u feeding? Brands? Pellets or flakes? And how often/much daily. My advise feed him deshelled peas (pellet sized) and let him fast for a day or two for him to clear out his system! Good luck

Ok, thanks guys!! I had no Idea they ate so little, I definitely gave him more than 2-3 flakes. I have him in a community tank, with tetras and 2 koi that I should not have in this tank, but I had no choice, either they get put in this tank or they end up killed :( so anyway, I would feed all the fish betta pellets and flakes, but now I know that is absolutely way too much food. These flakes are not small either.. Wow... Am I stupid... I do have freeze dried bloodworms, but don't feed them those very often.

Oh the brand is tetra min tropical flakes (usual type found in walmart) and wardley betta pellets.

Brandonaki360 said:
Oh the brand is tetra min tropical flakes (usual type found in walmart) and wardley betta pellets.

Ill move away from flakes all together, they increase the chance of bloating. And are u able to get hold of hikari bio-gold betta pellets? They are the best! I feed mine 3-4 pre soaked pellets 3-4 times a week and bloodworms 1-2 times a week, deshelled peas once a week ( some betta wouldnt eat peas) then let it fast once a week to allow it to clear his system! So I only feed it 6 days a week!

Brandonaki360 said:
Ok, thanks! I will look into that.

Just another thing, you should never mix cold and warm water fish. :/ how big Is your tank and what temp do you keep it at?

Thanks.

It's not just a weird mix, it's harmful to the betta

It's in a 5 gal :( I know I should have a koi in it, but my friend gave it to me since his tank is super over stocked, worse than mine... The koi were free given to him.. So I had no choice. The temp is about 82F. I am in Hawaii, so it gets hot, and cold. They seem fine, knock on wood.

Perhaps you can locate your local fish society and see is someone is keeping koi and give them to the proper home. You may also want to invest in an in-tank thermometer to go with the stick on.

Do you think a pet store would take them? Also, is an in tank thermometer better?

Brandonaki360 said:
Do you think a pet store would take them? Also, is an in tank thermometer better?

Yes please please please rehome them. Those fish aren't meant for anything less than a 20 gallon and that's pushing it to many. I like the in tank thermometer. Yes take them to a fish store. Lie and say your tank broke and you have no place for them if you have to. But I guarantee the betta is unhappy and unhealthy in there with them.

Back
Top Bottom