Help with Betta Care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Manix

Aquarium Advice Activist
R5924.fpx

My mom has a similar fountain inside the house and she was wondering if it is okay to keep one Betta in it? This is an example of what she has but not the exact fountain.

The water is pumped up and dripped back down.

What type of live plants can she use? And if it's Betta friendly?

No. Bettas are tropical fish that need a heated filtered tank. They would especially be a terrible candidate for that type of set up (well any fish would) because most are bothered my surface agitation. They would be very uncomfortable being in such a small amount of water with flow coming down so hard and creating so much movement in the water. Bettas are labyrinth fish that rise to surface to breathe, so it's crucial they are comfortable doing so. IMO a betta really needs, at the very least, five gallons of water. Many of my bettas are knocked around by the gentle flow of their small filters so this fountain definitely wouldn't work.

Even if you could put a betta in there, it wouldn't be practical anyway. It's not made of glass so you wouldn't be able to see your betta from the sides, and with the amount of surface agitation, neither would you be able to see it looking down from the top. So why put any fish in there?

Back
Top Bottom