Help with canister filter positioning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

_skyla_

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to go and buy a canister filter today for my 41g and I was wondering if I'd be able to thread the tubing intake and outtakes through the hole in my stand because it so low. I've only seen them going straight up through a hole above the canister. I don't know if this will make sense to any one or if I'm explaining well enough though. So would It be ok to have the tubes coming down and up the outside of the stand and tank? Or do they have to go straight up vertical to work?
Here's a link of where the hole is and where the tubes would be thread down from the top of the canister filter.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/65790-albums11260-picture49351.html

No, I think you're going to have to drill more holes or cut out a section. My fluval 406 directions explicitly stated to have the tubes go straight up to the tank without sags.

Why do you have a back on your cabinet? Is it against a wall or in the middle of a room? Most aquarium cabinet stands are open in the back of the cabinet to allow you to have all of your hoses & cords go.

Why do you have a back on your cabinet? Is it against a wall or in the middle of a room? Most aquarium cabinet stands are open in the back of the cabinet to allow you to have all of your hoses & cords go.

I don't know that's just how I got it second hand.

I would drill two larger holes up higher in the stand and/or remove the back of the stand if it is against a wall. The way it is currently will not work with canisters.

They don't have to be exactly straight or completely tight. As long as there's no crazy bends sags or loops it should be fine. My 406 sits on the side of my tank/stand so its not straight tubing and it works perfectly fine

Edit: you can always try it how you're talking about and if you notice issues then you can fix it, rather than drilling your stand if you don't have to

If you can't see the back of the stand anyway and removing the back won't change the looks of anything while the cabinet door is shut I would just remove the back. never have to drill anymore holes or worry about it again.

The stands backing is pretty much stuck on there it won't be as stable without it the way it's fern built. Ill just drill the holes eventually and for now just put the canister next to my tank. I need a new filter ASAP so that will have to do until I get the holes sorted. So it's off to buy a canister today. What size should I get for a 41gallon?

I have the Fluval 306 for my 46g tank . . . . LOVE IT. My tank stand has a back on it as well with cut outs towards the top. My hoses go through that so they're not perfectly straight but pretty close.

I have the Fluval 306 for my 46g tank . . . . LOVE IT. My tank stand has a back on it as well with cut outs towards the top. My hoses go through that so they're not perfectly straight but pretty close.

+1. I have the 406 and am very pleased with it. I think a fluval 306 would do great for you but there's also a couple other really good canisters out there. Most name brands are basically the same thing with minor differences so you really can't go wrong unless you just go for the cheapest

I ended up getting an eheim classic 350 canister. Hopefully that will work well it has a 2 year warranty and was on sale for a short time for $170.00 Australian dollars that is.

All set up it only took me 3 hours to figure it out and 2 YouTube videos haha jeez I felt like a dummy :p oh well I finally have done decent filteration. The current seems quite strong though its a spray bar out flow that came with it. I have no idea how I'd adjust the flow or if I can with this filter?

Also how long will I need to leave the old filter in before the new one is cycled aswell? I need the old one to use for my 17.5g I'm setting back up for my Betta. I did put a small amount of seeded filter wool in from the old filter into the canister.

Also how long will I need to leave the old filter in before the new one is cycled aswell? I need the old one to use for my 17.5g I'm setting back up for my Betta. I did put a small amount of seeded filter wool in from the old filter into the canister.

I would leave both running for about two weeks, then you can run just your new filter and check parameters after 24 hours and see if it needs to be seeded longer or not

Ok thank you :) I can't believe how clear the water is after one night with the canister running! So good! The only thing I'm worried about is the stronger current some of the fish seen like their having a bit if a hard time fighting it but i don't think it's overly strong.

Back
Top Bottom