help with catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharz1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi i am new to all this my problem is my catfish its lying upside down and swimming like its possessed its not sick as the other fish thats in the tank are fine ( 2 pleck, 2 neons, 2 tiger, 1 red tailed shark and a gold fish)
i was wondering if anyone has had the same problem or if some one can help i dont want to put it in a tank of his own as it would be lonely thank you

Hello and welcome to the board :D

I have a couple questions. First off is what type of catfish is it? Secondly what size tank and what are your water parameters. Even if the other fish do not appear to be sick, this does not necessarily mean the catfish isn't sick.

Do you have a pic of the catfish?

hi thank you the catfish is a albino catfish the tank is a 4feet tank dont know how much water it holds sorry. It seems to be swimming in its own fashion i think it has hurt itself as it hides when the plek are near but they are always fighting.
I have noticed its breathing seems faster and heavier i dont want to get rid of it if its only hurt its self. Hope this helps

Do you know what kind of albino catfish? Was it an Albino Channel Catfish?

If the pleco and the catfish are fighting then the pleco might be eating the catfish's slime cover, that or there are not enough hiding spots and you need to add a few more.

dont know what kind it is, the plek dont fight with the catfish they fight/play with each other the cat fish doesnt seem to bother with any of the fish.

Does it look like this?

Catfis11.jpg

OK that is an Albino Cory (Corydoras paleatus) And it should not be swimming upside down (unless it was feeding on the underside of something) But at times they do naturally swim like they are possessed, they also will thrive better in a group (3-6 with 6 being preferred)

That was my next guess.. I have no experience with Cories so I'll let someone else chime in. :)

Thanks Mudfrog ... Sharz1 does the Cory swim upside down ALL the time? Was it doing this in open spaces? or could it have been feeding on the underside of a leaf or decoration?

it never use to its just this past week it been doing it there is plenty of room for it to move about. there is plants but it just seems to be ligging in them and not doing much, it does seem to be breathing really heavy it swims about now and again but not like it use to. When i feed the fish it use to come to the top for food but now its like its not intrested and just wants to hide

Ok!

#1 Were was it when you saw it swimming upside down was it under somthing or out in the open ?

#2 Does it go to the top of the water alot ?

yes it use to go to top alot it use to swim really fast to the top of the tank but now it just doesnt

on the bottom of the fish its belly it seems to go inwards not rounded like the goldfish and also with it breathing fast it doesnt seem to be shutting it mouth its always open

Well it definitely should not be swimming upside down unless it is feeding on the underside of something.

If it was going to the top way more than normal that I would be more concerned about.

Do you feed it any Algae wafers or Shrimp Pellets?

Back
Top Bottom