Help with cycling tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Orphan15cs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need to know if plants and woody objects are put in the tank before the cycling begins. Next, I will have a 23 gal. Tank, due to dimension issues, and need to know how much ammonia to use. Please use a measurement like - a teaspoon. No ppm. Thank you. Third, if I decide to use bought water, what kind? I'll appreciate everyone's help.

Yes plants and wood are put in before cycling. That is where your beneficial bacteria will grow as well as your substrate and filter.
I've never dosed a cycling tank with ammonia but there is a liquid you can use that is just bb. The instructions on the bottle will tell you in tsp.

The plants won't be affected from an uncycled tank. BB in a bottle is pretty unreliable. I've never dosed by teaspoon or tablespoon for accuracy so I don't have an answer for that. Usually you dose a little then test the water after a couple hours then dose again if need be until you hit between 2-4 ppm.

Dosing ammonia

Hi Kingfisher. Thanks for your help. I can now feel encouraged to cycle once I set a tank up. I've cycled before, my last was a 55 gal. Saltwater but quite a few years ago. I never had a problem. Thanks again.

Unless you have an urgency to set up your tank, I recommend doing a fish-in cycle to make it more natural. You can avoid the chemical downsides of a fish less cycle, and have a more stable tank afterwards. I would add plants and wood during or after the fish-in cycle

I need to know if plants and woody objects are put in the tank before the cycling begins. Next, I will have a 23 gal. Tank, due to dimension issues, and need to know how much ammonia to use. Please use a measurement like - a teaspoon. No ppm. Thank you. Third, if I decide to use bought water, what kind? I'll appreciate everyone's help.
Hello, this is my guess from what I've researched. A solution of 5%ammonia & 95%water. 1ml for 10gal gives you 1ppm(20 drops=1ml). So you have 25gal & you want 4ppm ammonia. 200 drops should bring ammonia in 25gal to 4ppm. These calculations from site diy fishkeepers(cycling w/ammonia)Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom