Help with DP setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psyhampster

Aquarium Advice Addict
I think I'm getting a 5 gal for X-mas, and would love to do a DP tank. I think I could do 2 DPs and maybe 3 Cory Cats of some kind. I know I would need live plants, do you think just a bunch of swords would work?

You don't necessarily need live plants - though I think plants are great for fish. The problem is going to be your lighting for the 5gal, which unless you are making a custom hood is not likely going to be adequate for much other than java fern, java moss and crypts. Most swords get way to big for a 5gal, anyway.

My DP's loved my silk plants, and actually "slept" on the leaves.

Ya, on dwarfpuffers.com it says that DPs come from an area with Java fern and moss, so i think ill do that, and mix them with silk plants. There are dwarf swords right? Are there broadleafed plants that stay small?

You might be thinking about microsword, but I don't know if you'll be able to have enough light for that in this tank.

My dwarf lily (it is a bulb) stays pretty small in my 5gal and has a relatively broad leaf. It grows much larger in my big tank. You might be able to grow that in lower lighting, but it depends on what kind of hood you will have.

The 5g will be ok for the DPs, but it's far too small for a school of cories. Even adding pygmy cories will overstocking it.

I would not put a small fish like that in with DP's. Chances are they would be okay, since they are not swimming around much and tend to keep to themselves behind ojbects, but small and relatively delicate fish are not the best choice for DP tanks - I've seen them in action and they are seriously nasty when they want to be. I have kept them with a rubberlip pleco, but this was in a 15gal.

They are relatively messy, so a fine substrate is a good idea (food won't get trapped between gravel) but shrimp may or may not be attacked and eaten. I don't know if anyone has kept cory cats with DP's it may be that you will just be doing more vacuuming to deal with uneaten food.

hmm, if I had adequote hiding places, and introduced the shrimp first, do you think they would survive? Also, would I have to feed them somthing extra, such as algae wafers?

They might survive - especially if they are larger shrimp (ghost shrimp are often pretty decent sized) and you might consider occasionally feeding them Hikari Krab Kuisine (spelled something like that) as it contains the calcium and other nutrients that they need for a strong exoskeleton. If they don't survive, then they will have been relatively inexpensive live food for your DPs.

Often DPs "go to sleep" at night, so you could feed the shrimp after lights out. Mine would seem to sleep on a leaf after about 7:30 PM every night, whether the lights were on or not.

Back
Top Bottom