Help with dwarf gourami behaviour please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jen54

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought a pair of dwarf gourami about 3 weeks ago and put them in my community tank. All was fine they were both swimming about happily and peacefully with the other fish.
Then about 4 days ago the male decided to hang about in one corner of the tank, at the top where there are some floating plants. He only comes out to feed or to dart at the female, and if any other fish come near HIS corner he chases them away. Is this normal because he didn't do this before? He's not building a bubble nest so its not spawning.

That's correct. I think the only way you can stop this is buy having a very large tank with lots of plant/rocks to obscure line of sites. Or you can get lucky.

Floating plants are definitely not recommended as it makes it very easy to establish a territory.

I would take one back if I were you. In fact that's exactly what I did when my 2 were playing up. I took the bullied one back but the aggressor then went in to chase everything In its path. I swapped them for honey gouramis and had no problems at all. Although honey's are generally considered more peaceful. They are still gouramis and I may have just been lucky.

I now have 1 pearl gourami.

Good luck

Lots of people get two DGs thinking they are male and female because they look different in some way only to discover both are male. Shops rarely offer the famales because they are so plain in comparison. So, unless one is silvery gray, they are both male and territorial behavior is to be expected.

Back
Top Bottom