Help with dying fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snorkleboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ive noticed when my fish die usually they get off balance for awhile before, like swimming with their heads higher than their tails, is this how all fish die?

"for a while" do you mean a couple hours, or days?
This could be the result of swim bladder disorder (I've dealt with it, but normally it means floating on their sides, or having trouble swimming to the top or bottom of the tank)
If it is sbd, the most common cause is constipation, feed them a pea or two that has been cooked and shelled. Cut it up into bite sized pieces. Peas work as a laxative for fish so if that is the cause you will start to see improvement.
If that's not what it is then I'm not sure :( But someone on here will know, and I'll keep checking on this post :D

It's only a couple hours, and this guy is defiantly going he's a Bala and he's turning pink in some places. And he is floating on his sides and stuff. I'm gonna miss him he's been my favorite ever since I got him.

Snorkleboy said:
20 I've had him for 8 months and he's been fine.

It can take quite a while for an improperly sized tank to kill a fish. Balas need bigger tanks, thy grow quite large.

Your right he's been in there since 3 this afternoon and it's now 9 and I don't know what to do with him.

I don't want to sound cruel but if he is still alive this point it's time to put him out of his misery. That is if it is totally obvious he is going to die.

Amicus said:
I don't want to sound cruel but if he is still alive this point it's time to put him out of his misery. That is if it is totally obvious he is going to die.

+1

I believe there is a sticky in the unhealthy fish forum about euthanizing. If you do, I'm sorry that it has come to this.

I think a lot more info is needed before we recommend he euthanize the fish.

fort384 said:
I think a lot more info is needed before we recommend he euthanize the fish.

Yes, more info is needed, but that sticky is useful for any fishkeeper to look at. Even if the person doesn't need to euthanize the fish.

Just for the record I would always take all action to treat the fish first. I just got the impression that death was immanent.

Bettababe1011 said:
Same here.

I think that made sense. I once had the same problem & saved several fish, lost one. I am hoping that it is still possible to save this one. :)
I had accidentally reduced my bio-filter at that time, which caused the problem.

I've had a few fish at deaths door and have been able to nurse them back to perfect health.
Don't give up to soon. But the same goes for, don't wait to long so that your fish has to suffer. It's a very tough choice and no one can make that call but you.

WendiDell said:
I've had a few fish at deaths door and have been able to nurse them back to perfect health.
Don't give up to soon. But the same goes for, don't wait to long so that your fish has to suffer. It's a very tough choice and no one can make that call but you.

Well said. :)

Back
Top Bottom