Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-03-2004, 12:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to prettyvacant
Help with feeding betta and danios

I have a 10 gal with 1 betta and 5 zebra danios... I was wondering, how am i going to feed them...will the betta know to eat the betta food and the danios know to eat the flakes? does it really matter if say the betta eats flakes/ danios eat the betta food by accident...? lol thankyou

Old 10-03-2004, 12:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Fishalicious
I dont know about the betta, but danios are little PIGS. They'll eat anything you put in there.

2 Veil Angels
2 Panda Corys
3 Boesemani Rainbows
1 Rubber Pleco
2 Clown Loaches
1 Rainbow Shark

-10 Gallon QT tank
Fishalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 12:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just moved my male betta in with 5 danios and the betta had been eating pellets in the other tank, now I just drop in a small pinch of flake food and a couple of pellets and everyone eats together just fine. Occassionally a danio will get a pellet and my betta eats the flakes, but it really doesn't matter so long as someone isn't overeating. A lot of people say they can't seem to get their betta to eat flakes but when all the other fish eat them, the betta will do it as well (this also happened with my female bettas, and they have grown and colored very nicely so I don't see a problem). If you betta is a little timid at first, dont worry, give it a day or two and if things don't change, use a divider when you feed to give the betta confidence in eating (or catch him in a large net and feed him in there...in the water of course )
Old 10-03-2004, 02:53 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I agree. If your betta grabs some flakes, or the danios grab some pellets, don't worry too much about it.

Rubysoho gave some good advice about feeding though. If your danios are little gluttons, you might have to special feed the betta seperatley somehow.

HTH

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 03:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to bunebop
I have bettas and danios together, I usually just feed both of em flakes and bloodworms. Everyone gets some of each and I've been doin' this since beginning of May, with no fatalities... so I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure everyone gets something

~55 galFW ~6 zebra danios (I think, haven't seen some in a while), ~7 black skirt tetras, 1 clown pleco, 1 cory cat, 3 pit bull plecos, 1 baby guppy in a breeders net, and 1 red minor tetra

I also have a couple other tanks w/o fish as right now I do not have the room/time and there is a chance of moving in the "near" future so I don't want to get more fish for them. I'm downsizing for the moment.
bunebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 05:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

so how is everyone?? are they all being friendly at the dinner table?
Old 10-04-2004, 06:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Danios are fast and greedy eaters. I don't know about your betta, but mine slowly swim to the surface at feeding time and leisurely eat/spit out a pellet a few times before deciding to eat it.
LOL, they would probably starve if I had danios in there with them!

You might find yourself feeding the danios with one hand and the bettas with the other to make sure everyone gets some. It should work out fine, and one eating the other's food won't be a problem as long as everybody is getting fed.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

you'd be surprised at how quickly the slower fish move when they know there is competition

Tags
betta, danio, danios, feeding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com