Help With Finding a Fish For 1 Gallon Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update:
I transferred him into the tank about 30 minutes ago. Seems to be doing very well, swam all around the tank checking out his little plant & 2 toys I have in there for him. :)
My only two questions as of right now is when should you suggest I feed him since he is fresh from the pet store?
And is it normal for him to be always playing / nibbling the bubbles? He seems to like it but was just curious.
Thanks again for all the help & I feel confident this little betta will make it this time! :)

Give him about 24 hour before his first feed and then start him slow just one pellet at a time until you figure out what he will eat in 2 minutes or less. You have the option of feeding super tiny amount a few times a day or a bit larger once or every other day. I feed my fish every other day larger amounts but still on the small side.

The bubbles are oxygen so if he's "eating" them or just swimming in an out of it it's totally normal, fish love bubble walls. I usually feed a decent amount in the morning and sometimes at night. As others have suggested, I recommend a bigger tank in the future as well. Bettas are the new goldfish in regards to their treatment and level of care. Despite the fact that they are tropical fish, they are never in a heated area and are separated by cups because males don't get along with each other. Unfortunately their colors make them very marketable. I only have some because I felt bad and thought I would do them some good by bringing them home. Good luck with yours, any advice you need come straight here because pet stores are for the most part useless

Betta, and they don't require filtration if you change 100% water every week, because they can breath at surface and ammonia is not so much harmfull for them

Give him about 24 hour before his first feed and then start him slow just one pellet at a time until you figure out what he will eat in 2 minutes or less. You have the option of feeding super tiny amount a few times a day or a bit larger once or every other day. I feed my fish every other day larger amounts but still on the small side.

What would you suggest feeding him amounts of in flakes? I have tropical flake food instead of the pellets.

The bubbles are oxygen so if he's "eating" them or just swimming in an out of it it's totally normal, fish love bubble walls. I usually feed a decent amount in the morning and sometimes at night. As others have suggested, I recommend a bigger tank in the future as well. Bettas are the new goldfish in regards to their treatment and level of care. Despite the fact that they are tropical fish, they are never in a heated area and are separated by cups because males don't get along with each other. Unfortunately their colors make them very marketable. I only have some because I felt bad and thought I would do them some good by bringing them home. Good luck with yours, any advice you need come straight here because pet stores are for the most part useless

Ok so bubbles good. I still haven't fed him yet because i felt it was safe to wait till I heard from you guys on here which Im glad I did. I will probably feed him closer to the late afternoon / early evening.
I did end up purchasing a heater just to make sure he was comfortable and warm and he seems to be doing great still. He's a feisty little guy that's for sure! Haha :)
But as far as advice goes, YES! I will ONLY be coming to this forum from now on. I think I just got really lucky that I got to talk to a person that owns a few bettas & got some helpful beginner advice but you guys are much more knowledgable.
Thank you all again!

I have kept my Betta in gal bowls and they do great I change water completely once a week ... My oldest Betta is 3 yrs old I have 7 Betta each in 1- 2 1/2gal bowls

I have kept my Betta in gal bowls and they do great I change water completely once a week ... My oldest Betta is 3 yrs old I have 7 Betta each in 1- 2 1/2gal bowls

That's great to know! Do you keep a heater in your tanks with the bettas? Any suggestions on doing the water changes? Also, do you feed him flakes or pellets?

I have a betta in a Fluval Edge 6g planted tank and on days he gets flake food I literally break up a flake or two in my hand and sprinkle in maybe 6 smaller "pieces" then drop the rest back in the container.

Also if your heater is adjustable I'd turn it down to around 78. He really doesn't need temps that high.

I use a heater and small HOB (hang on the back of the tank) filter. While it's true Betta's can be kept in unfiltered water IMO using a filter adds biological and mechanical filtration and even chemical filtration if needed. Then you don't have to change all there water weekly and can keep water parameters more stable by only changing 25-50% of their water weekly. I do 50% WC's on all my tanks but my betta only tank, with it's low bio-load (one small fish) and with the small amount of food he gets daily doesn't require that large of a WC every week. I normally change out 25% weekly and about once a month I do a good 50% WC.

Just be sure when doing WC's that the temp of the water your adding back in is about the same temp as the water in the tank.

I have a betta in a Fluval Edge 6g planted tank and on days he gets flake food I literally break up a flake or two in my hand and sprinkle in maybe 6 smaller "pieces" then drop the rest back in the container. Also if your heater is adjustable I'd turn it down to around 78. He really doesn't need temps that high. I use a heater and small HOB (hang on the back of the tank) filter. While it's true Betta's can be kept in unfiltered water IMO using a filter adds biological and mechanical filtration and even chemical filtration if needed. Then you don't have to change all there water weekly and can keep water parameters more stable by only changing 25-50% of their water weekly. I do 50% WC's on all my tanks but my betta only tank, with it's low bio-load (one small fish) and with the small amount of food he gets daily doesn't require that large of a WC every week. I normally change out 25% weekly and about once a month I do a good 50% WC. Just be sure when doing WC's that the temp of the water your adding back in is about the same temp as the water in the tank.

Ok thanks! I have my tank temp around 76 degrees at the moment & he seems to enjoy that. I will probably feed him in a few hours.
Thanks for letting me know about the water changing as well! I was probably going to stick with changing 50 %old water to 50% new.

Do you have a filter? I've seen mini HOB filters for sale at Pet Smart before which are perfect for these small tanks. My Fluval Edge came with one.

I started with a betta in a 10 g and it really doesn't take up to much space! Plus in a 10g you can practice scaping and see what sort of things you really like for when you get a bigger tank :) i wish you luck!

Do you have a filter? I've seen mini HOB filters for sale at Pet Smart before which are perfect for these small tanks. My Fluval Edge came with one.

Yes I have a filter, pump, submerged heater & just for fun the tank itself came with a bubbler & led lights that change color which I think is really dope for the colors of the betta. :)
Im all around happy with my current setup but I agree that if I want more of a landscape I will need to upgrade to at least a 5 gallon. My 3 gallon will house my fish comfortably with a plant & 2 decor furnishings. I even have room for 1 other decor if I wanted but Im gonna stick with this for now until I get the hang of actually caring for my new fish.

Sounds like your all set... have fun since that's what this hobby is all about. I'm 30+ years into the hobby and still going strong!

Sounds like your all set... have fun since that's what this hobby is all about. I'm 30+ years into the hobby and still going strong!

Oh wow 30+ years that's amazing to hear! But thank you I look forward to this new hobby as an aquarist! I'm already getting attached to my little betta fish & can't stop watching him haha I named him Sabi Wasabi :)
I just fed him also, I just broke a flake in half & crumpled the half flake around the top & he swam right up & started munching away! :) He seems much happier now he's out of that little container & can swim in something with more room.

No heater or filters the house never gets below 68 and is usually at 70 but my room holds heat better than rest of the house . I feed pellets and the occasional dried shrimp or bloodworm . I skip feeding at least once a week

No heater or filters the house never gets below 68 and is usually at 70 but my room holds heat better than rest of the house . I feed pellets and the occasional dried shrimp or bloodworm . I skip feeding at least once a week

Skip feeding for an entire week? I probably couldn't do that since Im only feeding him flakes? Any recommendations?

I wouldn't feed flakes go buy some high quality betta pellets such as omega one. He means to skip feeding one day a week so the betta can clean out his system.

I wouldn't feed flakes go buy some high quality betta pellets such as omega one. He means to skip feeding one day a week so the betta can clean out his system.

Oh ok well I will try going to buy some betta pellets as soon as I can. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom