Help With Finding a Fish For 1 Gallon Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScumbagSaV

Aquarium Advice Activist
I an very new to this aquarist life so I had recently purchased a 1 Gallon beginner kit to ease my way into the fish life. Well now my concern is what type of fish I can actually keep in my new mini tank.
My first attempt failed miserably :( and now I was thinking a betta or guppy since that was recommended to me orginally, & that is what is suggested for my tank.
I only want to start with 1 fish to get the understanding of caring for a fish before I try buying a bigger tank or more fish. I now know a 1 gallon tank is very pathetic considering everything I have read on here so far has nothing less than 5 gallons but like I said Im a novice & wanted to start very small & I dont have a whole lot of space for something much bigger than 1-3 gallons at the moment.
So please any suggestions would be great! Thank you!

If this is a genuine post.....

You will have far more problems with this tank than a larger one because, due to the tiny volume, any changes in water quality are going to be sudden rather than gradual and you are going to have dead fish.

Scrap that little tank and get the largest you can afford.

If this is a genuine post..... You will have far more problems with this tank than a larger one because, due to the tiny volume, any changes in water quality are going to be sudden rather than gradual and you are going to have dead fish. Scrap that little tank and get the largest you can afford.

Yes this a genuine post :/ The people at the pet store said a betta would be able to live for awhile & is a perfect "office setup" & since I have a small apartment I just went with a 1 gallon. Now I feel stupid listening to them & should have went to this type of forum before. So would you recommend a 3 gallon? Is there anyway a betta would be able to maintain or a period of time until I can upgrade the tank for my new fish?

About the only thing that can be kept in a 1 gallon tank would be shrimp... Sorry :(

Edit: If you go with a 3 gallon you could keep a betta with nothing else, but as mentioned earlier, you'll want to be vigilant on water changes since parameters change much faster on such a small system. I highly recommend planting the tank for both fish happiness as well as extra help stabilizing the water chemistry.

About the only thing that can be kept in a 1 gallon tank would be shrimp... Sorry :( Edit: If you go with a 3 gallon you could keep a betta with nothing else, but as mentioned earlier, you'll want to be vigilant on water changes since parameters change much faster on such a small system. I highly recommend planting the tank for both fish happiness as well as extra help stabilizing the water chemistry.

Dang. :( Those people at the pet stores don't really know much about betta fish huh? The kit I bought that they suggested even say it perfect for betta, guppy, goldfish, & neon tetra.

Welcome to the most addictive forum and hobby...ever. My advice would be get the biggest tank you have room for, read, research, then read some more. The folks on this forum are the most knowledgeable and helpful as any where on the net. Once you really get into it, well, let's say the rabbit hole can go as deep as you want.....

Welcome to the most addictive forum and hobby...ever. My advice would be get the biggest tank you have room for, read, research, then read some more. The folks on this forum are the most knowledgeable and helpful as any where on the net. Once you really get into it, well, let's say the rabbit hole can go as deep as you want.....

That's what I was hoping for. Just didn't want to get in over my head with a big tank and no knowledge of care taking.

None if those fish are meant for a 1 gallon.
Also before starting a tank you should go read up on how to cycle a tank. That way your fish have a safe environment to live in:).

If I was you and wanted to start up the hobby start the same way I did with a decent 10 gallon starter kit will cost about 50 bucks for a filter the tank lights heater and sand or gravel. This way you have less room for error and can still keep a couple fish. You could easily keep a betta with some celestial pearl danios. Or you could do some small tetras such as neons with some ghost shrimp. A bigger tank really gives you more options and the bigger it is the easier to maintain.

It not as bad as is seems..start here-http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium/

Read as much as possible on the nitrogen cycle.

Welcome to fish keeping and this forum! Unfortunatly most people (including the majority of us) havenfallen into the pet store advice trap. But there is hope! As you can see alot of us have made a comeback from a disastrous beginning!
Your 1 gallon tank is really not suitable for anything but shrimp and some snails. A comkon misconception is that smaller tanks are easier. Usually the opposite is true. I would normally recomend a 20 gallon as a starter but it seems you are limited on space. I would recomend you get he largest tank you can afford and have room for.

If 3 gallons is as big as you can get then a betta fish or a nano species will be it. You should try to get a 5 gallon as it really opens your options up. Live plants in a tank that small are going to be your best friend.

Good luck!

Welcome to fish keeping and this forum! Unfortunatly most people (including the majority of us) havenfallen into the pet store advice trap. But there is hope! As you can see alot of us have made a comeback from a disastrous beginning! Your 1 gallon tank is really not suitable for anything but shrimp and some snails. A comkon misconception is that smaller tanks are easier. Usually the opposite is true. I would normally recomend a 20 gallon as a starter but it seems you are limited on space. I would recomend you get he largest tank you can afford and have room for. If 3 gallons is as big as you can get then a betta fish or a nano species will be it. You should try to get a 5 gallon as it really opens your options up. Live plants in a tank that small are going to be your best friend. Good luck!

Well Im going right to now to exchange my 1 gallon to a 3 gallon & getting a betta. Just one for now. Hopefully in a couple months (since xmas is coming up) i will try getting a 10 gallon so I can add little toys & stuff. Any other suggestions?

Well Im going right to now to exchange my 1 gallon to a 3 gallon & getting a betta. Just one for now. Hopefully in a couple months (since xmas is coming up) i will try getting a 10 gallon so I can add little toys & stuff. Any other suggestions?

Yes your tank will not be cycled! You need to cycle. There are several infornation threads on the topic. You will need water conditioner (prime is the best.) Also live plants to help clean the water and give the betta a hiding place would be great.

Just make sure you cycle the 3 gallon before adding a betta.

Just make sure you cycle the 3 gallon before adding a betta.

Ok so I greatly appreciate everyones input!
I bought the 3 gallon tank & a male betta fish. I will upload pictures soon so everyone can see my new current setup.
I just cycled the tank with jungle start right maintenance and am letting the water sit with a bubbler on as well as a heater I bought. The temp is staying at a consistent 82 degrees. I also have a little plant & 2 little toys for him :)
The person at the pet store said he owed several bettas and was very helpful I feel. He also said to let the water sit after cycle treatment to make sure it wont shock the fish.
Trying my best to make my novice start in aquarist the best one! Im excited!

Are you running a filter? It most likely needs to be on for your cycle to start and will certainly help the cycling process.

Keep checking your levels. Bacteria in a bottle is notoriously in bad for cycling. There are many different factors you may have just bought a very expensive bottle of water.

Are you running a filter? It most likely needs to be on for your cycle to start and will certainly help the cycling process.

Yes I have a filter in the tank as well. And I didn't buy the bottled betta water, I treated the tap water with Start Right which says conditions & treats tap water, removes the chlorine & adds a slime coat.
I haven't transfered the fish as of yet, still going to give it another hour or so before I put him in the new tank.
Any other suggestions? Or the best way to transfer him to the tank from the tub he was sold in?

Also, when would you suggest I feed the little guy? Since I just brought him home a few hours ago Im not too sure on how often they feed the bettas at the pet store.
Thanks again for everyones help here so far you guys are super nice & helpful!

Back
Top Bottom