Help with Fluval 205 filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhavik95

Aquarium Advice FINatic
have had this filter for a while now and a couple of months ago when cleaning the filter i noticed that the impeller was broken and therefore the fan wouldnt turn properly and would get stuck so it would stop spinning.

I then managed to mess around with it and managed to get it working and today while cleaning the filter again this time the impeller just wouldnt work and so i had to go out and get a new one.

So i was wonder how do i prevent the impeller being broken?

I always clean the impeller and the surrounding area when cleaning the filter.

i have a picture of the broken impeller if that will help?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Other than being careful and not operating an empty canister, there's no real way to prevent something from breaking. If it's gonna break, it will. The 05 is the older unit and has been replaced by the 06 series. It's possible that this failure was just the impeller lasted for the time period it was designed for.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Other than being careful and not operating an empty canister, there's no real way to prevent something from breaking. If it's gonna break, it will. The 05 is the older unit and has been replaced by the 06 series. It's possible that this failure was just the impeller lasted for the time period it was designed for.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

I always have been careful with my filter and I never run it without it hooked up to my fish tank
Oh ok it's just that I don't want to keep spending money every time the impeller breaks :/

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have the Fluval 306 and almost every part is replaceable should it break. I'm sure you can find the parts online for the 205

I have the Fluval 306 and almost every part is replaceable should it break. I'm sure you can find the parts online for the 205

Yeah I have seen that pretty much all the parts are replaceable but the only thing is that I don't want the part to keep breaking and keep spending money on it....

My impeller shaft is ceramic. I'm assuming the 05 is similar. In the two years I have had my filter I only pulled the impeller to clean it once as it doesn't collect much dirt at all. All I can say is be more careful and don't try and force the parts together and maybe have a spare on hand just in case.

only other option I can think of is to get a new canister but that's up to you.

My impeller shaft is ceramic. I'm assuming the 05 is similar. In the two years I have had my filter I only pulled the impeller to clean it once as it doesn't collect much dirt at all. All I can say is be more careful and don't try and force the parts together and maybe have a spare on hand just in case.

only other option I can think of is to get a new canister but that's up to you.

I don't force the parts in because it is a magnetic the impeller just gets pulled in and fits into place so in that way it's fine and I always clean the impeller when I'm cleaning the filter

Back
Top Bottom