Help with food choices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barterking85

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a livebearer tank with a betta platies mollies swordtails and guppies I have been feeding them nutrafin flakes I'd like to stick with nutrafin cause it's always available but what else should I give them?

Also I have a community tank with two angels cardinals and serpea I feed them tetra minerals and the same flakes listed above is this ok ?

My bettas I feed betta flakes and pellets is this ok or should I add something?

Thanks in advance

I have a live bearer tank with a Betta platies mollies swordtails and guppies I have been feeding them nutrafin flakes I'd like to stick with nutrafin cause it's always available but what else should I give them?

Also I have a community tank with two angels cardinals and serpea I feed them tetra minerals and the same flakes listed above is this OK ?

My Betta's I feed Betta flakes and pellets is this OK or should I add something?

Thanks in advance

Always being available doesn't mean it's any good, In fact I would think that it doesn't sell well if it is all that easy to find.
Anyway no matter what kind of fish I have, I wouldn't feed anything but New Life Spectrum (NLS). NLS makes a food for every fish and community tanks too. NLS comes in SW and FW and a special food for juvenile fish called Grow which is awesome and they make a killer Fry power.
With NLS you never need to supplement your fishes diet because NLS is so well balanced and nutritious. In fact it is so good I found that I feed half as much NLS as I did the Flake foods.
Oh and the best part is that even your most finicky fish will like New Life.
And just so I don't offend anyone, all the above is IMO.

WendiDell said:
Always being available doesn't mean it's any good, In fact I would think that it doesn't sell well if it is all that easy to find.
Anyway no matter what kind of fish I have, I wouldn't feed anything but New Life Spectrum (NLS). NLS makes a food for every fish and community tanks too. NLS comes in SW and FW and a special food for juvenile fish called Grow which is awesome and they make a killer Fry power.
With NLS you never need to supplement your fishes diet because NLS is so well balanced and nutritious. In fact it is so good I found that I feed half as much NLS as I did the Flake foods.
Oh and the best part is that even your most finicky fish will like New Life.
And just so I don't offend anyone, all the above is IMO.

Ok but nls is not an option cause I would have to order it online and being in ns Canada everything takes a lifetime to get to me plus I heard it's pricey this is why I like nutrafin cause it a quality food at a fair price if I did go nls what type should I get for each tank?

ryan-peddle said:
Ok but nls is not an option cause I would have to order it online and being in ns Canada everything takes a lifetime to get to me plus I heard it's pricey this is why I like nutrafin cause it a quality food at a fair price if I did go nls what type should I get for each tank?

They have one for community tank! So go for that. And feeding flakes increases the chance of bloating so I would switch over to pellets. And I agree nls are one of the best. If u can't get hold of nls. Try hikari they too are one of the top brands on the market today

Believe it or not, because you don't need to add any supplemental food and you feed less NLS than other foods, in the long run it costs less to use NLS.
As far as which type of NLS to feed there are a few choices for your tanks. There are the breed specific foods like NLS Betta. But since you have mixed tanks you can try the NLS Community Fish Formula, or the All Purpose Formula or the Small fish Formula. If your worried about stressing your fish when changing their food there is always the NLS Thera + A.
Each of these foods start at $5.99 except the Thera + A it's $7.99. You can get any of these at www.Bigalsonline.com for a reasonable price. They actually have 27 different types of NLS to choose from.

HUKIT may have a better idea as to which food you should choose but this is what I would use if I were you.

Ok but if I stick with the foods I have available in my small town what will i need to supplement like bloodworms and such and for which tank listed above

Ok but if I stick with the foods I have available in my small town what will i need to supplement like bloodworms and such and for which tank listed above

Since I don't use anything but NLS for my African Cichlids,, Adults, juveniles and fry. And the same goes for my Angelfish. I wouldn't know what to supplement with.
Does bigalsonline ship to NS? If they do you should try them they have good prices and they ship pretty quick.
I to live in a small town where you can't find a thing, plus I'm somewhat disabled so shopping is difficult at best. So I have to do most of my shopping online.
Since I'm stuck shopping online or driving for 2 hours to get anywhere, I might as well get NLS since it is the best.
Even if I didn't use NLS I couldn't use bloodworm's with my Mbunas. They have a tendency to get Bloat and die if the eat bloodworm's.

Yeah big ALS docent deliver here the cheapest nls food I can find online is like6.99 for the food and 40$ for shipping NLS is not happening I don't care if it's made of gold lol so of regular food that is found in pet stores ex flakes granuals and stuff like that I can get the nutrafin and tetra line no problem iam only interested in those what should I get and what should I supplement cause I never lost a fish due to bloat look at the top to see my tanks

I feel ur pain, gotta drive to Halifax (live on south shore NS) to get anything good not sure where you are in NS but the best on the south shore is in Liverpool called kameco's cove and you can even email him and he'll have everything ready or order what ever you want, their prices are cheaper then pets unlimited too, even has a saltwater section and he knows what he's doin unlike pets unlimited, finally found spirulina flakes there he keeps in stock, went to 4 pets unlimited and none of em had it

I'm not a fan of tetra, nutrafin, aqueon, or wardley foods. Omega one, ocean nutrition, NLS, some of the Hikari, and a lot of the online only foods like Kens are all good quality.

Yeah big ALS doesn't deliver here the cheapest nls food I can find online is like 6.99 for the food and 40$ for shipping NLS is not happening I don't care if it's made of gold lol so of regular food that is found in pet stores ex flakes granuals and stuff like that I can get the nutrafin and tetra line no problem iam only interested in those what should I get and what should I supplement cause I never lost a fish due to bloat look at the top to see my tanks

That's an insane amount of money for shipping. Do you know anyone in the U.S. that can get it, then forward it on to you? It may be cheaper that way. It certainly couldn't be much worse.

I could find only 2 NLS Distributors in all of Canada, one in Winnipeg and the other in Some place called Red Deer. I don't know where in Canada they are in relation to where you are. But the shipping should be less, being the same country.
The Winnipeg Place is called AS Morris Sales, 206-668-6026 or morrisas2@hotmail.com. The other is Cichlid Food Canada, 403-246-9386 or www.cichlid-food-canada.com .
If those don't help you, you can contact New Life International, they may be able to help you.

Back
Top Bottom