help with guppy fry! ><

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loligrape

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So, I got to feed my guppies this morning and find this one tiny fry hiding in one of the fake plants. Needless to say, I was horrified to think that some time in the night, my guppies had possibly devoured most of their young.

I don't see any other fry around, but they may be hiding as well. I'm so afraid the baby will be eaten and I have no clue how I'm going to feed him. I've heard about using egg yolk, but wouldn't that lead the adult guppies straight to the poor guy?

Please help!

so for the future put the guppy in a breeder box BEFORE she gives birth but everyone has there mistakes. what i do when my guppy gives birth in her tank and i didn't realize she was ready to drop, a get out two containers, 1 small and 1 as large as it can be. fill the large container with water,then go on a little fish hunt. spot as many as you can and scoop them up with the little container. try to get them on as few tries as possible because you don't want them to be traumatized. when i first started out with guppy fry i did the whole egg thing but after the water getting murky, the fry not eating it, and the annoyance of having to make the mixture, i switched over to a mix of fish food, first bites and brine shrimp.
hope this helps :)

So, I got to feed my guppies this morning and find this one tiny fry hiding in one of the fake plants. Needless to say, I was horrified to think that some time in the night, my guppies had possibly devoured most of their young.

I don't see any other fry around, but they may be hiding as well. I'm so afraid the baby will be eaten and I have no clue how I'm going to feed him. I've heard about using egg yolk, but wouldn't that lead the adult guppies straight to the poor guy?

Please help!
Welcome to the forum!
Yeah, there are a ton of ways to keep guppy fry. Personally, I never put the moms in the breeding net because it is stressful for them and I had one die, so I don't do it anymore. I net out the babies and keep in a series of breeding nets until they are too big to get swallowed, but put them back in with the adults.
I use egg yolk sometimes. It disperses in the water, so I don't see how that would lead the grown-ups to the baby. Other options are to just crush flakes really really tiny, or else get a baby food like hikari first bites. I have successfully used all 3 of these options. I like to mix it up a bit, so I rotate these methods. But, any one of them would work. :)

Back
Top Bottom