Help with ick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeverumGuy

Aquarium Advice Freak
One of my juvi severums has two spots that look like ick. None of my other fish are showing any signs of it. I went ahead and put some treatment in the water. By doing this, can that help keep my other fish from getting ick?

I used AP Quick Cure. I hope my two new guys don't get it. They're small and one of them is not cheap, so I'd hate for something to happen to him.

well you are doing the best thing of treating the whole tank though personally i prefer the heat and salt method.

How will my plecos and clawed frogs do with salt since they don't have scales? I just turned the temp up some so hopefully that will help speed up the process.

Careful using most ick cures with scaleless critters. Make sure you're using it half strength or if the bottle has scaleless critter instructions go by that. From what I've read, the heat/salt method is harsh for the scaleless ones.

I'm not going to risk using salt. I increased the temperature from 77. I'll have to wait to see where it stops at. I didn't put the full dose into my tank from that Quick Cure. I still have a few tetras in my tank that I haven't found a home for so I went by the tetra instructions. I hope I can stop the other fish from getting it. I don't have a tank to remove the severum.

Try to raise the heat as high as your fish can handle. I think ich's lifecycle is disrupted at 84-86F. I'm not sure if your fish can take that much though.

--Adeeb

Back
Top Bottom