Help with new figure 8 puffers!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Renewablemommy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone!
I finally got my community tanks combined and patiently (maybe not so patiently?) waited to find a pair for my empty cycled tank in my room (had a few community fish and a snail, and a few otos in it that moved to my big tank) and picked them up yesterday. Got them home and slowly acclimated to my tank which I added 1/2 gallon of 1/2 saltwater 1/2 freshwater mixed my by lfs as a slow transition to brackish water. He said the water he mixed was a reading of 1.003 if i remember correctly. I plan to slowly transition but would love advise on how to make this happen without upsetting my puffer.
Anyway.... i added them, they explored the rest of the evening, and both ate well (they shared a small oyster). This morning one of my guys was swimming towards the top and acting lethargic. I tested the water and it tested a little high for ammonia (o.25 ) so I did a partial water change (about 3 gallons out and added 2.5 primed freshwater, and .5 half and half mix from the petshop. When I got home the one that was acting weird was no longer alive. I am heartbroken and worried I stressed him somehow. Any advice or thoughts?
Also, as far as feeding is concerned I have frozen oyster half shells, frozen bloodworms, and fresh pond snails, How often should I be feeding? Should I add anything besides this to his diet? If I add all the pond snails I got will he overeat?
Also, what tool would you recommend to measure salinity that is not super pricey?
tank specs
15 gallon
PH 7.6
Ammonia currently 0- 0.25
Nitrates 10
subtrate is sand
running two filters, one whisper 15 corner filter, and one whisper 20 HOB filter.

What kind of acclimation did you do? When making the transition you don't want to raise the salinity more than .002 a week. .005-.008 would be an ideal salinity for them, over the course of several weeks. If he was acting lethargic it could've been a lack of oxygen in the tank, or just stress. I would recommend treating for parasites soon, that may have been a contributing factor. PraziPro is one, soak their food in it. The standard treatments your lfs will recommend are extremely dangerous to puffers, I've seen many beginners lose puffers this way. Being scaleless makes it hard to treat them, it also makes them extremely susceptible to water conditions. Continue the small
water changes. Do you treat your water before adding it? I use Seachem Prime on all of my tanks and recommend it.

If you can soon, add decorations to the tank. They get bored easily and empty takes can stress them out. If you've noticed a lot of glass surfing that's the first sign. Fake mangrove roots would fill up the tank fast, or more fake plants. It can be challenging, but you can also try live plants. Java fern is one that can survive at that salinity. I'd also recommend a background, I don't know if it makes a difference to them but I like to add solid black on all mine.
Their diet sounds good so far, mine get the same as well as scallops, shrimp and crab legs. Variety is key, so just mix it up.
As for what tool to use, ask for an Instant Ocean hygrometer. I believe most fish stores carry them and it shouldn't be much more than 10 dollars. Refractometers are more accurate, but not necessary for low end brackish.

Hmm....following. I've been interested in keeping F8's myself. Not sure why you had an ammonia reading so soon.
What was the sg of the tanks they were in at the lfs? You may have raised it too quickly by adding them to 1.003 sg.
Have you tested nitrites? I ask because that level of ammonia probably wouldn't effect them overnight, but high nitrites would.
Also, if your tank was cycled, it was for a fw tank right? If I'm not mistaken, BB between fresh and salt isn't interchangeable, therefore adding the salt likely produced a large BB die off.
Hopefully someone with more experience will jump in.

Lol posted at the same time ^^
I just noticed the internal filter. Do you have surface movement in that tank? Could very well be a lack of oxygen.

That's correct, if the salinity was raised too fast the BB was killed and the tank was sent through a mini cycle, but without a way to measure the salinity at this time it's hard to say if that's what happened.

Thank you everyone!! I've added my bubbler in this tank instead for right now, and I'll go to my LFS tomorrow to buy a hygrometer and more decor to ensure he's not bored. Thanks for all the feedback!!
I thought I was raising the levels slowly as I've obky added a total of 1 gallon of 1.003 to the 14 gallons of already primer and cycled freshwater but I'll only know by checking ;).
I'll keep everyone updated!

Seems just that the overall acclimation, stress and a possible mini cycle took down that one puffer. I saw that you mentioned the tank size as 15 gallons. Not to rain on your parade lol but I recommend at least 20. A 20 long gives them more horizontal swimming room and will be enough for 1 adult F8 puffer. You should be fine with 15 gallons though (hopefully)

As mentioned above, soak the food in Prazipro. This helps a LOT. Don't be disappointed if this one doesn't pull through, it happens a lot with new, sensitive fish being introduced into new tanks. Just keep up you normal water changes and get something to measure the salinity (not sure what those are called :) )

Mistakes happen with them the first time, they're sensitive and it sounds like it may have just been the stress. Experience is the best thing you can have with puffers.
I also agree 15 is a minimum, with a 20 long being preferable. Tall tanks and puffers don't mix well. But you should be fine with this one adult. I'd recommend at least another 10 gallons per Figure8.

I'd be careful with the bubbler. Believe I read this is a brackish tank. Not sure on that but in saltwater bubblers can cause major salt creep on your hardware because it splatters the water that has salt in it. When the water evaporates the salt stays.

Caleb

This tank is absolutely going to be upgraded soon (hello Christmas wish list?).
I added sone base rock today, and a bubbler wand that goes across. I had warranty on the F8 so I had my water tested and fit a new guy. If he does not make it I won't be able to handle losing another one for a while. He seems quite happy now though.
Got a salinity tester (brain fart on the proper term!) and water is testing at 1.003.

image.jpg
Currently. I need to re burry the small bubbler as they messed with them until they cane out if the sand. Lol

I'd be careful with the bubbler. Believe I read this is a brackish tank. Not sure on that but in saltwater bubblers can cause major salt creep on your hardware because it splatters the water that has salt in it. When the water evaporates the salt stays.

Caleb

This is very true!

Oh, I had no idea! Thanks! I'll keep an eye out and if I see any bufup begin I'll take them out. The puffers LOVE to play in the bubbles right now!

Back
Top Bottom