Help with Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lifeoffroad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So long story short, my tap water is high in Nitrates which makes my readouts pretty consistantly high.

Things ive done to help is added sechem matrix to my canister filters, algones in my small AC filter for back to back weeks and plants. Not many just a few to start.

So my question is, where do i go from here?

Im going to use stress zyme once a week to see if that helps reduce sludge, even though im a good gravel cleaner.

What products should i use for pwcs? i was thinking Prime as stress coat dies not specify weather it helps amonia and nitrates. What about those fake moss balls? Any good?

Any advice is greatly apprecited.

I think you are using too many chemicals. Just use Prime when doing a pwc. Plants are of great help when lowering nitrates. I don't know about fake moss balls, but real moss balls might help a bit.

bud29 said:
I think you are using too many chemicals. Just use Prime when doing a pwc. Plants are of great help when lowering nitrates. I don't know about fake moss balls, but real moss balls might help a bit.

I only use one chemical right now. Stress Coat when doing a pwc. Seachem Matrix is biomedia, basically porous rocks in the canister. Algone is another media that goes in the filter.

I have the same issue with my tap water. Out of the faucet I am 30 Ppm (could be a bit more or less- the red shading is hard to discern) I have just kept up with my water changes and added 3 Amazon Swords to my tank and it has held pretty steady. Doing 30% water changes once a week, treating the tap water with Amquel +. The fish are happy, and I haven't had any algae issues yet. tank is 1 month old and 29g.

Back
Top Bottom