Help with picking focal fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualady40

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been trying to decide a focal fish for my 55g.

I currently have it lightly planted with wisteria, water sprite, amazon sword, and some other low-light plants, huge dw every bit of 2', soiled subtrate capped with pfs, & coconut huts for caves.

Water parameters:
Ph-7.4
Ammo-0
Trites-0
Trates-0-5 (bioload so light, plants eating the little I have)

Current Stock:
2 long finned Red minor tetra's (had 3, 1 died)
3 long finned black skirt tetra
4 julii cory's
4 rosy barbs (2 are long finned)
4 ghost shrimps

Possible focal/s:
6 bloodfin tetra's
3 congo tetra's
4 lemon tetra's
I did not add rummy nose tetra's because no lfs seems to carry and I had found a fs on the outskirts of my town that said he would order; however, after waiting 2 weeks, he tells me he cannot get them :(...so now I am looking for fish that are sold locally that would still be really nice as focals....
Any suggestions?

wow..I like the tails on these..are they commonly sold in lfs?

I don't live in america but where I live in England I have seen them in almost all the pet shops I've been in. In England they cost around £7.99 but I know the prices vary in America .

I don't live in america but where I live in England I have seen them in almost all the pet shops I've been in. In England they cost around £7.99 but I know the prices vary in America .

oh okay...well you have anymore ideas? BTW..I really like pretty fins, long fins, colorful fins, and patterned fins....catches my eyes...the fish need to have at least one of these characteristics...:)

I have 3 other tanks that has gourami species in them...I like the look of the apistos but they are cichlids....don't want cichlids...sorry but they look very pretty

If you are worried about the cichlids being aggressive, dwarf cichlids actually make very good community tank mates!

Depending on the dwarf. IMO kribs would rip everything up. Probably uproot all your plants with their digging. And then get super aggressive and chase everything.
I was going to mention about German blue rams. They don't seem to aggressive but I had a female once that did have quite the attitude. IMO bolivian rams don't seem that aggressive. They almost seem timid and they do have some nice colours.

Depending on the dwarf. IMO kribs would rip everything up. Probably uproot all your plants with their digging. And then get super aggressive and chase everything.
I was going to mention about German blue rams. They don't seem to aggressive but I had a female once that did have quite the attitude. IMO bolivian rams don't seem that aggressive. They almost seem timid and they do have some nice colours.

Yeah, that's what I meant to say. The Rams are probably the best way to go in a community tank.

Yeah, that's what I meant to say. The Rams are probably the best way to go in a community tank.

Perhaps you haven't had Apistos then :p

The only time my Apistos get rowdy is breeding time. And even then, they just protect their little part of the tank :)

Predfan27 said:
Perhaps you haven't had Apistos then :p

The only time my Apistos get rowdy is breeding time. And even then, they just protect their little part of the tank :)

The only apistos I have had are iniridaes:) I think that's how it's spelt.

Back
Top Bottom