Help with puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddodad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi I was just at my lfs and someone had purchased a green spot puffer which they specially ordered and didn't come and pick it up. They are no willing to keep it and have given it to me. I have read conflicting things that they are either fresh or brackish. Currently it is in fresh, also they said and my research says in a heavily planted tank they can coexist with other fast moving fish. I have my 75g heavily planted that I want to put it into, I also didn't want it to go to a home that isn't ready for the commitment (I'm a sucker)

Any advice would be great I go pick him up tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They go from fresh water when young, to brackish, to full marine.

You can either start them out in brackish if that's what they are in at the store or slowly acclimate them to it by raising the SG over time. They can't live in just freshwater for their entire lives though.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It's also very aggressive an can reach 6in. I would keep it in a species only brackish tank as they have been know to just randomly eat other fish as soon as any weakness or crowding occurs. There also very fragile an nee te upmost matience as a weekly water change an over filtration. There also very smart and should be very alert. Watch out for a gray belly as it could mean improper care or a internal parasite as these fish are wild caught

Hi I was just at my lfs and someone had purchased a green spot puffer which they specially ordered and didn't come and pick it up. They are no willing to keep it and have given it to me. I have read conflicting things that they are either fresh or brackish. Currently it is in fresh, also they said and my research says in a heavily planted tank they can coexist with other fast moving fish. I have my 75g heavily planted that I want to put it into, I also didn't want it to go to a home that isn't ready for the commitment (I'm a sucker)

Any advice would be great I go pick him up tomorrow

As a juvenile they can be freshwater but as they mature need to be slowly weaned into brackish.

Puffers are very territorial. Plenty of plants and decor to break lines of sight is recommended. They also are known for fin nipping very bad that's why fast fish are recommended. I would QT it for a month as most puffers are wild caught and can carry parasites.

You need a colony of snails as they love them and most only accept live food. They can be trained to accept frozen though. You will need to trim his/her teeth every now and then. Hard food like crustaceans help keep their teeth trimmed down.

Caleb

Update, went to the lfs to pick up the puffer, it was dead so no puffer for me

Puffers are very aggressive and territorial. Like someone already said, the Green Spot starts off as freshwater, and head in the direction of full marine. I'm sad to see that it died however. I think puffers are super cool!

If you want to get a puffer that doesn't require brackish water, get a few Indian Dwarf Puffers. I had a few and they were hands down my favorite fish I have ever owned :)

Oh I want a puffer right now I'm in negotiations with my wife to allow me to start a salt water/marine tank. If that doesn't work I will try and find a fully freshwater puffer. I am fully aware of their personality and their aggression, but from what I've seen they have great personality

My issue was I saw it at the lfs and they didn't want to keep it and the owner basically was going to euthanize it. I will no longer be shopping there.

Oh I want a puffer right now I'm in negotiations with my wife to allow me to start a salt water/marine tank. If that doesn't work I will try and find a fully freshwater puffer. I am fully aware of their personality and their aggression, but from what I've seen they have great personality

My issue was I saw it at the lfs and they didn't want to keep it and the owner basically was going to euthanize it. I will no longer be shopping there.

Dwarf puffers are fully freshwater

Caleb

I thought I might want a dwarf puffer until I saw a video of 3 or 4 puffer fish tearing at a piece of shrimp that was dropped into their tank. Whoa! I said to myself. Glad you are researching rather than buying it impulsively.

I thought I might want a dwarf puffer until I saw a video of 3 or 4 puffer fish tearing at a piece of shrimp that was dropped into their tank. Whoa! I said to myself. Glad you are researching rather than buying it impulsively.

About all puffers will do that. They are carnivores.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom