Help with sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquatic_Adam

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi. I have a 40 long aquarium that is decorated with sand. I read about hazards with sand? If I have gravel substrate under the sand does that minimize the build up of the anaerobic bubbles? Thanks.

Yes, there have been some hazards with sand Including:

-Clogging the impeller in the filter which can be fixed by covering the intake on the filter with a sponge, Like how people do in fry tanks.

- And Like you said, Anaerobic bubbles which can fixed by stirring the sand every Water change or keeping MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snails). They go under the sand by burrowing and clearing out the bubbles. As fars as the gravel preventing them, I dont think so.

Tyler

Thank you! I have plenty of MTS in my aquarium. I actual thought about that after I posted. Haha. I will make sure to stir from now own. And since you brought up water changes, I don't wanna sound like an idiot, but how do you do sand? I've always had gravel until now.

you just hold the vaccuum over the sand, start at about an inch above and creep closer....if you start lifting sand, you're too close. sand is very easy to take care of. you will love it!

Are you meaning on how to vacuum it? or something else?

As far as vacuuming it, you dont go down into the sand like you do with gravel, but lightly skimming over it with the vac to get the poop and debris laying on the floor. Also, make sure to have an extra few pounds of sand because after a little while of vacuuming the sand, It starts getting low, and needs to be replaced.

Tyler

Thanks! I absolutely love sand. I plan on switching over every aquarium I have to it! I tried to syphon last weekend but kept getting sand. Too close apparently!

Back
Top Bottom