Help with Snail ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gfink

Aquarium Advice Freak
Take a look at snail1.jpg and snail2.jpg in my gallery. This guy came on my plants and survived the potassium permaganate soak. I think it is an apple snail. What do you guys think? I dont' really want a MTS population to begin, apple snails are keeps though.

FYI note how he is cleaning my glass. This is just like my big apple snail. I'm not sure how a MTS behaves.

Any help or info would be appreciated! Thanks.

gfink said:
I think it is an apple snail. What do you guys think? I dont' really want a MTS population to begin, apple snails are keeps though.

Its neither...that is a common, pest pond snail....it will repriduce like crazy and eat your plants down to tatters.

Out of curiousity, how can you tell? Also, is there a website with some info about them I can read?

Thanks.

Update: Since I posted this last Sunday, I have found and removed around 20 pond snails. Grrr....It seems every night I find one or two more. I hope I can eventually eliminate these guys. Unfortunately, I can't get a snail munching fish for a 10 gallon.

Next time I will have to strengthen the potassium permaganate soak.

Snail 2 looks like a post horn snail to me, I've found them in my tank, but am not quite sure yet, if they'll eat my plants.

Snail 1 is a very common aquariumsnail, they don't get very big and I've always had them in all of my tanks. They've never attacked any of my plants, just eat algae and dead plants pieces!

Back
Top Bottom