Help with snails please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trickay

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys, I'm new to the site so hopefully I do this right!!

We've got two fresh water tanks and both are becoming infested with snails. We've tried the old lettuce leaf in the tank trick but the suckers don't seem to like lettuce.

Any advice on what we can do to get rid of them? Each morning the glass is coated in them and they just keep breeding!

Can't figure out how to upload pictures either?? The snails are cone shaped varying in size depending on how long they've managed to survive.

Sounds like MTS. First of all, watch how much you are feeding. The population can be managed, to a certain degree, by making sure you are only giving your fish the amouny of food they will eat in a few minutes. If you are trying to get rid of them, you could try assassin snails, but that is trading one snail for another. What size are the tanks?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just scrape them off the glass when you turn the lights on. Thatll get huge numbers of them outnof the tank. Then follow that with decreased feedings.

A plethora of snails is generally a sign that you are overfeeding. Try to cut feedings back if you can. Though, that can be hard in some tanks.
I agree that scraping them off can help a lot. Another things that seems to attract them is algae wafers. You can put algae wafers inside a bowl or jar or glass bottle and often corral a few that way. Generally, the only real real way to deal with the, once they are in there is a bit of manual removal coupled with decreased feedings.
Personally, I just leave them. I find them cute, and most really don't hurt anything. That is a personal preference though.
They sounds like either malayian trumpet snails, or else pond snails. You can look up both of those online though and find images.

How big is your tank me n my wife got two yoy botias for our 35 gal they fixed our snail problem

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Assassins snails or bumble bee snails or elephant fish heard much on them

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Pic? And snail trap is waste of time if your not dealing with egglayers

Smash them so the fish can eat them and feed less as was said above

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nah they tried to kill most of my fishes even with presence of snails, assassin snail just one can kill most of them in a month they go 24/7

Back
Top Bottom